softboots carving : Rotation, Push-Pull and even EC

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

vizsyn
Rank 3
Rank 3

softboots carving : Rotation, Push-Pull and even EC

Post by vizsyn » Sunday 1 April 2012, 0:40

Hello all!

Stumbled across this little video tutorial... I don't know if this has been previously posted on the forums, but I have been following this guy FunCarve on Vimeo. Pretty impressive stuff, and it breaks down some technique down to the most minute details :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's very exciting to see the same techniques that are used in full alpine extremecarving also being successfully implemented on softboots and freeride equipment! It's amazing to watch these riders performing the most basic rotational carves so gracefully. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Evidently, the extremecarving movement is immensely popular with the Russians! :bravo:
Riding softboots since '96. Saw EXTREME OPUS 4 "LIFTED" in 2010... Back to Square 1

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Non-Alpine snowboarders: Rotation, Push-Pull and even EC

Post by Hans » Monday 2 April 2012, 20:21

Best instructional vids I have ever seen for EC-ing. :clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2:

I have put them on my phone, just for practicing.

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

'Russian EC Video Tutorial'

Post by rcrobar » Monday 2 April 2012, 20:24

Hi Vizsyn

I too am REALLY impressed by these instructional videos, but am particularly impressed by the third video in the series of 3 that you provided!

The ideal of a 'plus' and a 'minus' body position is just excellent, such a clever and easy way to explain to a student what the teacher wants to see.

I also really like the common mistakes section of the third video. This is an idea that could be a permanent thread or sticky on this forum.

IE - It is my belief that one of the most common backside EC mistakes is not getting the hips close enough to the snow during the transition and having too much pressure on the front foot very early in the turn.

I am also surprise that your post has not generated any other responses, this is a cool post.

Is it possible to change the name of your thread? I bet a thread name like 'Russian EC Video Tutorial' will get a lot more hits and get this thread rolling.

Thank you for this post.
Rob

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Monday 2 April 2012, 21:23

Vizsyn, i will get to watch these links soon. As posted elsewhere my laptop has been dodgy and is now in several pieces while i try to figure... :roll:

Anyway, i can do with all the tutorials i can get. So thanking you in advance :bravo:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

vizsyn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vizsyn » Tuesday 3 April 2012, 1:57

Hi all!!! :hello: :hello: :hello:

How ironic it is... In my quest to learn how to extreme-carve with an alpine stick and hardboots, I wind up coming across quite possibly the most in-depth video tutorials I've ever seen on ROTATION, PUSH-PULL and EC being demonstrated by riders using freeride boards and softboots!!! 8O After I saw these videos, I slipped into my softboots, ratcheted myself onto my Burton T6 and proceeded to rotate my hips and torso this way and that, bent my knees up and down, and inclinated back and forth, puttting in some pretty hardcore training... All the while blazing by at 0/kmh on the carpet in the house at about 70Fahrenheit! My housemates just looked at me and shook their heads, thinking I had just lost my mind :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

@Hans!
Hello! I haven't met you before on the forum, but I'm glad that you find these videos to be of significance. Like you, I also have these videos, along with the tutorial done by EvGen(BEN) and of course assorted videos of Jacques and Patrice :pray2: :pray2: :pray2:

@Rob
Greetings! Your good friend yomama(Peter Vu) :chinese: has corresponded with me on the forums, offering valuable tips, advice, and encouragement. He had also mentioned that you guys co-wrote the article on extreme-carving on the Carver's Almanac website :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: From what I've researched, you and Peter were among the earliest adopters of the extreme-carving technique and philosophy :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: Pardon my ignorance, but how do I go about changing the original name of this thread? Like you, I'm surprised that not many people have expressed interest in these little tutorials.

@keepTheSport
Cheers!!! Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to view these videos soon, they are pretty informative and actually fun to watch! Hopefully you're getting in some good practice in some "fridge", I will have to wait 8 months before I can try to implement these exercises :cry:

Once more, kudos to the Russians :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: EvGen(BEN), Evgeny Tikhmenev(REY), Hugo, Salomeya, to name a few... They are raising the EC game to new levels!!! :pray2:

One day, a little Filipino called vizsyn hopes to one day reach the promised land... :pray:

Joe
Riding softboots since '96. Saw EXTREME OPUS 4 "LIFTED" in 2010... Back to Square 1

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: softboots carving : Rotation, Push-Pull and even EC

Post by harald » Tuesday 3 April 2012, 10:48

If I only had these videos plus Ben's when I started learning EC (by myself) nine years ago. Then much frustration might have been saved. Great instructional videos.
harald

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

The Learning Never Stops

Post by rcrobar » Tuesday 3 April 2012, 18:52

Hi Joe

Peter is a very passionate and helpful person, he is always more than willing to go the extra mile to help people in anyway that is can! Peter and I both lucky enough to discover what Jacques and Patrice created years ago. Both of us have a skate/surf/snow backgrounds, making the ideas on this site such a natural fit for many riders at first read.

I did help out a bit with the EC part of the Carvers Almanac, but I don't want to be grabbing too much credit here, Scott Firestone is a pretty amazing guy when it comes to collecting information, sifting through it and presenting it in such a concise and organized way. I only helped with some of the big picture ideas with regards to the skate/surf technique and how it relates to ECing.

Your comments about finding a guy in soft boots helping with your hard boot technique for me is really an interesting thought and what makes the push-pull such a versatile way to ride. The reason I find it interesting is a often wonder what technique racers use when they are free riding? Do they apply the race technique, do they use a surf/skate technique or perhaps a hybrid of both?

I can also completely relate to Harolds' thoughts! Over the years it is amazing to me how the learning never stops, there is always something that can be picked up; this thread is a perfect example! Lately the Russians have been teaching us all a lot.

I have never changed a thread title before, I wonder if the edit button will allow this?

Cheers
Rob

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 3 April 2012, 21:44

Vizsyn, i laughed at your 0mph and 70 deg comments :lol2:

If it makes you feel any better, i too try things at 0mph 8O i have a crappy looking laminate floor in my kitchen, i think i got a 1/4 spin out of it :D im thinking of polishing floor with extra wax perhaps ill get a 180 8)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Tuesday 3 April 2012, 22:47

Very good videos from Alexandr at Funcarve.ru !
He came at the Swoard ECS 2012, with his new wife! :D

We are glad to see that the vocabulary developed by Jacques and me is more and more used. "Push-pull" is of course the first example and is widely used now. It's also cool to see the terms "Plus" position and "Minus" position (this is the figure drawn by the shoulder/hips and the board when the rider is watched from an aircraft). Sometimes we also use "Egyptian" position for the "Minus" position, and "Cross" position for the "Plus" position.

It's really a great thing to teach our technique to soft boots riders as done in those videos. Because of the low bindings angles used on freeride/freestyle boards, our basics are even more adapted. They also can be used in the powder off-piste, giving fluidity and efficiency.
The soft boots riders who will want to go further in EC will probably also get alpine gear. In my opinion a complete snowboarder ride both gears, soft and hard. As we wrote here in 2002 already, "Practicing both disciplines, hardboot carving and soft boots freeriding is technically very enriching."

Patrice Fivat

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sincere Flattery

Post by rcrobar » Wednesday 4 April 2012, 7:43

Hi Patrice
fivat wrote:Very good videos from Alexandr at Funcarve.ru !
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Years ago when you and Jacques demonstrated to everyone what was possible on a board the flood gates of riders working very hard to emulate this distinctive technique, with it's graceful and fluid style, opened literally world wide.

The many videos we are now seeing, in both hard and soft boots, is proof of this very sincere flattery.

Cheers Patrice
Rob

Parallax
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Parallax » Sunday 8 April 2012, 12:44

Oh, thanks a lot for your positive feedbacks :))
Site www.FunCarve.ru was created at 2010 and it is dedicated to extremecarving technique on russian.

Now there are also two videos on russian language, on youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FunCarve2012
Soft-boot carving project www.FunCarve.com
Extremecarving lessons www.youtube.com/user/FunCarve2012

Parallax
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Parallax » Friday 20 April 2012, 13:41

Hi all!
One more extremecarving video tutorial - Frontside laid-down turns.

Enjoy! :)

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Monday 23 April 2012, 14:22

parallax, Wow, another clear and detailed video and good demos.

I might not be ready to do this skill wise but i may just have a go anyway. i fell yesterday on my front side and this has happened a few times where i am actually locked on a front side carve almost lying down on snow and i fall once momentum stops-this is all by accident though:-0

These vids are great, as yesterday i was managing unweighting board, push pull,even weaving in and around small rocks.

The push element is amazing for cutting speed. I noticed that if i vary the leg extension, this varies the amount speed i cut BUT it could be mixed with more leg ext equals more depth of carve equals more speed is cut. It's really exciting discovering this stuff.

Well got a day off during the week to go snowboarding. Should be quiet on slope, so yeh might give it a go:-)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Parallax
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Parallax » Wednesday 14 August 2013, 17:56

Hi all!
We have translated our website into English, http://www.funcarve.com
So, now you can better understand what we say in our video :))

Fefe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fefe » Thursday 15 August 2013, 0:47

:clap: :clap2: :clap3: :bravo: :pray2:
Good job!