Dual vs production camber boards

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

mterhaar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dual vs production camber boards

Post by mterhaar » Wednesday 23 November 2011, 20:43

This is my first post on this forum....but I think this is the place for the answers I am looking for. I have read some pretty good stories about the DUAL but not convinced yet. I have been snowboarding for 20 years on hard boots on some pretty nice boards, from F2 to custom build virus boards...but since snowboarding with my kids I want something more all-round but still be able to do flat front and backside turns the EC way. The info on the internet is hard to interpreted because, reviews are all based on the riders opinion but you never know what the style and experience of the rider is. I want to read if a board is capable of doing flat turns and still has enough speed to turn again and again. And then the replacement of normal camber.....V style, banana.....etc. The only board that comes close to my wishes (normal camber, reasonable stiffness, soft boots, aggressive, direct) is the Burton Custom X. Off course there are more board like this but hard to find. My big question is, how does the DUAL compare to the custom X like boards.....is it comparable if you ride them with good soft bindings? Please give me some insights!
Thanks.

bradipo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Dual vs production camber boards

Post by bradipo » Wednesday 23 November 2011, 23:48

Hallo!
Sorry for my terrible english!
I used just one time Custom X (very good board), but I use Dual from february 2010 (full winter season). If you want to do flat turns I think the choice Dual is very good. The board has the same stability than Ec Swoard (and I have used it) but close the turns too much, so You have to arrange your style, but the board is very very speed, I guarantee.
After may tries (nearly 2 seasons) I can say: if You use Dual with very stiff soft boots as Driver X the trasmission is very very good. I suggest absolutely to join Driver X with bindings Xrt Fxt Flow (is not really this - seems however - but I don't remember exactly the name: however is the stiffiest bindings of the production, black). If you have no more than 42 european number of shoes You can place with no difficult the boots with positive angle (for example near +30, near +20) in the interior of a Dual 168! No problem so for flat turns!
Have good lay down turns!
Flaviano
Lay down to pleasure
Bastian Contrary but forced to classical set by continual crashes...

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Thursday 24 November 2011, 0:53

I used to have 05/06 custom x, the stiff one (they softened it after 07/08? Can't remember, hasn't shopped free ride boards for quite a while).

In short, very capable carver for soft boot boards. Dual can do what you wish to do (according to your description). EC, free carve, mogul, powder, tree, park... Wouldn't jib, though. IMHO, comparing dual to custom x is inappropriate, since custom x is all mountain freestyle board, whereas Dual is a free carve board with free ride shape. Quite a weird combination, if you ask me, but it works. Dual has a bit more forgiving flex and torsional rigidity but sure does hold edge on icy, moderately steep slopes (25-30 degrees) while doing EC or g-force style carve.

Tried boards like custom x and never summer Titan for EC, and I have to say I failed miserably (and I used stiffest possible setup such as catek free ride binding with 32 forecast boots). While I was trying EC on Titan I even dislocated my left shoulder. Those boards just don't have right flex pattern and side cut for EC.

I use flow with k2 boots but now I prefer alpine boots with soft binding such as ibex on duck stance (15, -6) and I love it even more, better on icy slope but still good on moguls and park and retains manoeuvrability.
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

mterhaar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mterhaar » Thursday 24 November 2011, 20:24

thanks for the good replies......I like the idea that you can use the DUAL with positive EC style angle. Think it is strange to go with high speeds in a duck stance, what about backsides turns in this position. I already tried different types of bindings.....and yes I came to the same conclusion to use the FLOW NXT. Response of the FLOW systems is in my opinion much better. Did get some advise from a boardshop as good alternatives they advised the new Nidecker ultralight or megalight as best.....at least they come from the same factory as the DUAL and swords. But I do not like the cam rock in stead of normal camber....but that good also be my lack of experience.

moosehead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by moosehead » Thursday 1 December 2011, 0:08

I ride my dual 163 with my old burton mission step in bindings and boots with the burton elevators its not the stiffest set up but it works and I have become lazy haha. I use to ride with burton c60 bindings and driver x boots I could easily EC with that set up now I just ride the dual strictly freeride and cruise but when there is hero groom I will mount my hard boot set up on it. This is why the DUAL is such a great board it can do whatever you want it to do. In comparison with other cambered boards out there right now I can't say because I don't care I love the DUAL. I do have a salomon sick stick for powder days and the DUAL can't come close to that in powder but I can ride deep powder with it the nose floats well for a cambered board. Cheers from Alberta
Swoard DUAL 163, Burton C60 bindings, burton elevators, Burton Driver X boots. Prior ATV 161 Bomber td3 bindings, Deeluxe 325 boots, f2 carve rs bindings.