The right stiffness. 168M vs 175X?

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

Sud
Rank 0
Rank 0

The right stiffness. 168M vs 175X?

Post by Sud » Monday 9 February 2004, 9:39

Guys, I'm a little bit confused... Going to purchase the Swoard but got one trouble... Can't choose the right stiffness :) Following the board selection section on this website got 168M. Currently riding f2 silberpfail 168 03/04. It seems rather short and soft for me. Thinking of 175M? Afraid of 175S since this scaring word "soft" :)

Who can compare? What is your suggestions?

Boots: 299 mm
Height: 178 cm
Weight: 66 kg

From Siberia with love,
Andrei

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Monday 9 February 2004, 13:46

Hi Andrei,

I am using the 175M and it suits me perfectly. However, I weigh approx. 82kg, so I think the 175M would be too hard for you. Apart from that, you need the 175, because your feet are quite large. The other boards are already too narrow. So the 175S should be the board for you.

Greetings, Eduard.

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Board selection

Post by harald » Monday 9 February 2004, 17:46

Hi,
To make your confusion complete, based on the information you gave and the SWOARD matrix, 168 M should be the right board. I use a 168 H myself, am 178 high, weigh 78 kg and boot length is abt 30 cm (size 27.5). 168 H was recommended by SWOARD guys. Since you have the same heigth, same boot size and weigh less, 168 M should be the right one.
Regards,
harald

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Monday 9 February 2004, 17:50

Ok, sorry, depends on what Andrei means by boot length. Do you mean the total boot length as suggested by J&P? Then I agree to Harald. Otherwise, if you mean feet-size, your boots will be longer than 299mm, so you should get yourself a 175S.

Eduard.

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hehe :)

Post by nils » Monday 9 February 2004, 18:50

I recommended a 168M for Andrei :)
Lets see how it goes from here ! The 175S and the 168M have almost the same weight range so its a matter of having longer edge...

Nils

Sud
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sud » Tuesday 10 February 2004, 9:04

Thanks, guys for your replies! I am inclined to choose 168M. The only question I would like to hear some answers on - how it (168M or 175S) is compared to f2 silberpfail 168? I mean longitudinal, torsional stiffness...

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Tuesday 10 February 2004, 22:58

Hi, Sud

I demoed the F2 Silberpfeil once, three years ago for two full days at Haus im Ennstal. The materials used in this board are almost the same as in the Swoard like Carbon etc. The base of the Silberpfeil is a lot harder, sintered 8000 as I remember. Both boards are good in what they are meant for. Silberpfeil is more like a freecarve slalomboard as the Swoard is much more an allround versatile board. I like the SWOARD more, because it's more versatile and smoother/easier to ride. About the torsional stiffness, I don't think there isn't much difference but I am no technician/engineer. I think/believe that the new technique of the Swoard and the versatile stiffness you can choose, are more custommade to your ridingstyle/sizes than the Silberpfeil is. It depends on what you want and expect from a board. All I know is, that you can do things with a Swoard that you can do with a Silberpfeil. But you can't do things with a Silberpfeil that you can do with a SWOARD. Meaning, making long and short turns, and do some really linked ECcarving. The edgehold of the Silberpfeil is okay, the rebound you can get out of a short turn is incredible, you are blown away. The energy you put in the board, comes out of it triple as a matter of speaking. Where I think the SWOARD is more moderate in its reactions when you push it really hard, meaning the board is not death, but smoother to ride, more civilised. I like this more. The Silberpfeil is more like a none stopping racecar on a short racetrack, only when you push it. Hope this will give you some input. You can also look for reviews at http://www.bomberonline.com/reviews/boards.htm

About the stiffness of your SWOARD choice. I see your weight is not very heavy, but how old are you? May be you will become heavier in a few years and will the SWOARD 168 Hard be more suitable then. Some opinions about this?

Greets, Hans