Lenght and stiffness of Swoard

Support about extremecarving or freecarve/freeride Swoard boards, hardboots and bindings

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, nils

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Lenght and stiffness of Swoard

Post by Mattias112 » Wednesday 1 November 2006, 14:35

Hi!
I just sold my 168 M because I thought it was to soft and turned to tight for my EC style. I must admitt that it was perfect to learn how to EC, but once learned the board simply is to soft and turn to tight, especially if there is good grip in the snow.
I am 170 cm and my weight is 67 kg, so according to the recommendations it should be great.
Are there any more out there that feels the same?

And what do the "Swoard team" suggest?

/Matt :roll:
RAD Black, Diamond MW, Blackburn...

Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Silver » Wednesday 1 November 2006, 14:48

Could you precise what you mean when you you say it is too soft (in which conditions etc...) ?

Silver 8)

Arnaud
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Arnaud » Wednesday 1 November 2006, 17:18

Hi Mattias

My weight is 75 kg (limit between M and H), and I own a 168H (3D) I feel perfect for usual carving and also EC on good conditions.
During ECS 06, I tried also a 168M 2D and I feel it better for EC on steep icy slopes, because the softer flex helps to finish the turn with moderate speed. But I feel it too soft for usual carving especially in soft snow because the smaller radius cause more loss of speed.
Being lighter than me, M flex should be good, except if you like high speed carving and if you ride on soft snow. Was the board a 2D or 3D ?
Swoard EC Pro2 168H - Swoard EC12 Boots - Gen5 168H - Stoke 162 M

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mattias112 » Thursday 2 November 2006, 8:40

For allround carving the 168M (the 2D model) was really good, in fact probably the best board I´ve tried. For EC I only felt comfortable when the conditions where rather hard but not icy. In icy conditions the, in my opinion, short raduis and/or the softness of the board made it turn to tight which meant loss of grip in the tail=sliding instead of carving.
In soft conditions I either slid out or I was overriding the nose of the board and was thrown "over the handlebars".

Other boards that i´ve tried with longer raduis and a little more stiffnes ie F2 speedsterRS177(longer radius but not much stiffer), Afterburner( Not much longer radius, 13 M, but really stiff). These boards does not have these problems. And, yes I have to work harder on these boards and they are a bit to narrow and they are not nearly as good for allround carving... But for EC they actually work

Any ideas? :roll:

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

simple idea yes>

Post by nils » Thursday 2 November 2006, 12:22

168H, or 175M
:)

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mattias112 » Thursday 2 November 2006, 13:22

Does anyone know how 168H or 175M compare to F2 Speedster RS 177. Stiffnes and more? :?:

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Must ride more

Post by Mattias112 » Wednesday 29 November 2006, 18:36

After looking at movieclips of THE extremecarving guys and myself I think I need more practice :-) I realize that I need a bit more speed so perhaps a 168 M will feel better as I am getting better...
What board do Jaques and Patrice ride??

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Must ride more

Post by fivat » Wednesday 29 November 2006, 18:48

Mattias112 wrote:What board do Jaques and Patrice ride??
I'm riding 168H, and sometimes 168M when the snow is very hard or icy.
Jacques is riding 175M.

Patrice Fivat

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Thursday 30 November 2006, 14:41

Hi Matt.

I'm almost exactly your size and weight (in fact, I'm a very little bit taller and heavier, at least in winter) and I did some runs with the 168M. I think it's a bit soft for aggressive carving, especially it doesn't like to be ridden with too much pressure on it's nose. So switching to SWOARD from my Virus, I need to cool down a bit.

But if I ride the 168M like recommendet by the SWOARD Team, it works perfectly fine. IMHO it's important to ride it with your weight centered over the board, best with some prerotation. To be honest, I can't imagine, that your are too strong / too heavy for this board. I have to admit, that there might be some tolerance in each board's stiffness, but anyways I never had that kind of problems with various SWOARD 168M.

Best regards

skywalker
free extreme carving

Mattias112
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mattias112 » Friday 19 January 2007, 21:14

Hi!
I guess I´m used to a lot stiffer and longer boards(as you can see what board I own...) so I have adjusted my technic accordingly... But I only think the boad is to soft when the snow has great grip, on ice its really good. I will most certainly buy a 175M or 168H insted of my 168M. I like long turns so I get a long nice contact with the snow :twisted:
Which of those boards would all of you think will fit my style best?? :?