It actually worked!!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: It actually worked!!

Post by keepTheSport » Monday 9 April 2012, 20:15

Abrax, i have been left a delivery card and i'm not expecting anything else other than the springs-yaay- fingers crossed. I'll update tomorrow after i pick up parcel :)

Can't wait to get the angle grinder and 5mm(?) drill bit out :badgrin:

Parallax, thanks for extra tips. To be honest when traversing i never know when end of turn is. I have problems controling speed. If i turn up hill to lose speed i can't get out of carve and i fall. So i skid out speed rather than fall. Another member here told me to dig nose a bit and i get the concept on that plus i have read that elsewhere.

I really just need to keep practicing. I'll get there :D
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 8:36

If you unweight the board by pulling the board towards you, you can always control it easily. You see it in the push-pull demonstration just before making the turn in order to flick the board over to the other side. It's the crucial thing to do to make such easy looking smooth turns.
Fridgecarver

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 14:00

TransistorR, thanks. I shall remember that. I've got thurs off work for a bit of snow time to practice yippee do:-)

Abrax, i now have the long awaited springs :-) they look amazing and very well made:-)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Fefe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fefe » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 14:37

Make sure to have the right body position, "minus or egyptian" on frontside and "plus or cross" on backside, rotate your upper body (shoulders and hips too) from one to the other position when turning

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 16:37

Thank you keepTheSport for your kind words :-) Every ACSS kit is produced with my own hands so I do my best to keep the quality on the highest possible level.

Finally all the delayed parcels are on place. But I'm really angry for the post office. It's better to ship with UPS or any other global logistic agency but the cost is way too big when it comes to 65euro ACSS.

In case of any questions to mounting the system, just shoot me an e-mail :-)
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 19:33

oh Fefe thanks too for tips, it really helps :-) i think i forget to move hips properly, although i had upper body twisting okay. I noticed on mirekd link to korean video that the one in the red trousers really nails the egyptian stance, so much so that i visualise this but my brain can't quite visualise the other stance.

Abrax, I shall post on your ACSS spring thread. Thanks for offer of further help :-)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Fefe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fefe » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 21:00

At the Courchevel SDT (btw, we were expecting you :tongue: ) Master Arnaud :pray2: gave the following tip: put your hands on your hips with your arms forming prince charles' ears (ok, he did not say that, I'm just translating in figurative meaning :evil2: ). So your arms form 2 semi circles, and when rotating, the 2 "ears" have to turn, your shoulders, hips and arms are actually rotating. This should help to turn from minus to plus position (and the other way too)
Also, with high angle setup, the + stance is easier to achieve.

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 10 April 2012, 23:02

Fefe, prince charles... 8O. I'll think of something cute like Jumbo instead :lol2:

You're not going to bring Camilla into your next tip are you :naughty: :lol2:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Fefe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fefe » Wednesday 11 April 2012, 13:12

don't worry, i have no more technical tip, so no camilla :tongue:

Yeah jumbo, will do too, i'll mention it next time :clap2:

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Thursday 12 April 2012, 6:59

I have noticed (from a lot of videos posted here) that more weight is on the back leg (at times front bit of board is off snow) when starting the 'push' into the turn. I never have more weight on back leg, tend to be leaning down slope with even weight.

I know there's a difference between ec laid turn and carving. The video by Ben demonstrates, statically, crouching down and you can see extra weight on back leg (and front of board comes off snow). Is this back leg weighting the correct thing to do for laid turns only ?

Comments appreciated :)

Off on a tangent. I am a skeleton on a snowboard :? who is trying to gain weight by weight training:) i need a couple of posters for the wall at home where the weights are, to keep me motivated. One poster will be Jodie Marsh(ex glamour model). Has anyone seen her lately she looks amazing(though from a straw poll at work i'm the only one who thinks so) :lol2: However i would also like a male poster. Who could this be? Perhaps only the ladies are brave enough to reply on this one :lol2:
Comments appreciated :bravo:

I know i'm being childish but it helps keep things fun :badgrin:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Sunday 15 April 2012, 19:53

Thought i would give a progression update.

I have had the most amazing snowboarding week end, tx to the unexpected snowfall in scotland :D

On softboot set up 30f,27b. Yesterday, spent day doing rotation drills. Taking on board egyptian and cross(+-)tips. Went well. However, yesterday's drills paid off big time today. I eventually added push pull (bending low on board just before switching edge to unweight it), and then pushing board away on the turn.

It all actually worked, i got better and better as day went on. I started doing stuff i didnt know i could do 8O i was actually controlling my speed by choice, weaving in and around people, confident to carve inches from hazard poles and i had to duck under one as it was leaning over. Normally i would have skidded to cut speed. Oh i done a water jump too but landed on my backside-didn't see hazard pole till it was too late :badgrin:

Still rubbish going up tows but it was easier on this set up.

Thanks to all who have offered tips and posted videos :) l've not wasted your help.

The hardboot sessions i put in have paid off too. Now to see if vice versa is true.

Compared to everyone here i know i'm rubbish but i'm trying:-)

Oh my snowboard feels lighter when i'm carrying it. Weight training must be paying off too 8O
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!