It actually worked!!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

luomu
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: It actually worked!!

Post by luomu » Saturday 17 March 2012, 18:33

keepTheSport wrote:I expect I shall need the Abrax spring system to help forward lean?
Yes.

Edit.
Ok, maybe a simple 'yes' is a bit too much of scandinavian efficiency.. :)

Since the Le Mans boot originally comes with the 5-position (or 3-position?) lock mechanism, the only thing giving you flex is the boot plastic. This makes it just too hard.. So switching from the lock to Abrax's spring should both help you with carving and make it more comfortable. Plus walking around becomes easier (important after-ski feature.) So it's all good. :bravo:

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Saturday 17 March 2012, 22:56

The after-ski which is obviously after-snowboard feature works really well... After the PCS, we've reached my car and I've just stepped in and drove to a hotel. Having hardshells still on my feet! Nobody has noticed this. I was able to drive safely without any problems at all. Finally when we were at the hotel I've left the car, everybody stopped talking and having weird smiles on their faces they have just freezed realising what has happened... Unforgettable. This is a complete must. :-) But please, don't you ever think of trying this on your own :-) :silly:

More serious: You can run up and downstairs almost as you were wearing softboots :bravo:

OK, completely serious: ACSS does make these uncomfortable hell raised hardshells feel smooth and gentle as never before. But you can't think of speeding or any kind of real race after the ACSS and the mods. This is one way to go.
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Sunday 18 March 2012, 10:01

Luomu said, "...Ok, maybe a simple 'yes' is a bit too much of scandinavian efficiency.. :).." , Is it just the blokes that have the Scandinavian efficiency? As I think this maybe a worldwide phenomena :badgrin: - okay I take that back :lol2:
Yes, these boots do have the 5 position system. Your comment "...important after-ski feature...", does that mean that if you go to fall over drunk that the springs bounce you back up? I fall over for any reason :lol2:

Abrax said, "...I was able to drive safely without any problems at all...", and "...You can run up and downstairs almost as you were wearing softboots...", and "...ACSS does make these uncomfortable hell raised hardshells feel smooth and gentle as never before..."

Have you thought about teaming up with Luomu on the marketing side - SOLD :lol2: I shall PM you as to how to purchase some springs :D

Vizsyn, I see from reading threads on this site that you have been carving for many years, although a recent convert to laid turns? You will be pretty good already no doubt. I am feeling quite rubbish at the moment. I wished I had some carving experience to throw into this new style :oops: but hey ho practice makes perfect :D

Question: how near has the ''front of the back knee got to be to the 'back of the front knee'; roughly how many inches (or centimetres) apart? I seem to have metres apart, just can't quite get things right. Will the new spring system sort that out? :?
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

kieran
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kieran » Sunday 18 March 2012, 14:00

keepTheSport wrote:Question: how near has the ''front of the back knee got to be to the 'back of the front knee'; roughly how many inches (or centimetres) apart? I seem to have metres apart, just can't quite get things right. Will the new spring system sort that out? :?
how you were in the ski boots and non-SI bindings is correct. we just need to replicate that with the deeluxe boots and SI bindings.
not difficult, but also not obvious if you haven't done it before.

vizsyn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vizsyn » Sunday 18 March 2012, 15:38

Hey!

Well yes... I have always sought to properly carve my turns through all the years that I've ridden. However, this was all on conventional freeride/freestyle boards and softboots. I had known about alpine snowboarding since 1996, and though it fascinated me, I never actually seriously thought about doing it.

Sometime in 2010, I stumbled across the "LIFTED" video online while I was researching ways to improve my everyday riding technique. Needless to say, I was simply stunned, totally blown away by what I saw... 8O 8O 8O I had always prided myself for leaving thin, sharp lines in the snow, but seeing Jacques and Patrice linking fully laid-out carves was a revealation :pray2: :pray2: :pray2: After going to the extremecarving.com website, I realized that my fundamental technique was very bad.... I had several flaws, the biggest being COUNTER-ROTATION!!!:oops: :oops: :oops: From that point, I decided to literally re-learn turning from scratch! I joined the forum, and thankfully so many people came forward with tips, advice, and encouragement :D :D :D Once I began applying the basic rotation principle to my turning, my riding improved dramatically! I have begun to grasp the push/pull concept, but this season was very short, due to my area suffering through the 4th-warmest winter ever recorded in the US :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am still very far away from my ultimate goal of linking laid turns... I still struggle with lingering counter-rotation at times. I guess it will take time to fully unlearn something I've done for so many years. But I am very happy with the progress that I've made. I only wish now I had taken up alpine snowboarding much earlier....

Joe
Riding softboots since '96. Saw EXTREME OPUS 4 "LIFTED" in 2010... Back to Square 1

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Sunday 18 March 2012, 19:14

As Luomu was the first one to show that the ACSS gen1 really works.. And the one who has checked the following construction (gen2 -> the existing construction) millimeter after millimeter to search for possible imperfections ;)

We've indeed teamed up :-) And if you will ever buy carvmag ->http://www.carvingmag.com/ , you will notice Luomu's perfect EC turns there :-) Of corse with the ACSS mounted!

Or maybe check it here -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9008

Luomu: How about you dude? Did you finally buy a better board? With this Coiler these EC turns must have been extremely difficult! Thanks God you've bought the ACSS, without it these turns couldn't have looked that good ;)
www.carvingskills.com

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Sunday 18 March 2012, 21:47

Abrax, you have PM re springs :D You and Luomu are a double act :lol2:

Kieran, I have moved back leg plate back to where you had it originally. Today it seems more comfortable 8O I've compared stance width on my other board, think I just need time to get used to forward angles :D

Vizsyn said "...I only wish now I had taken up alpine snowboarding much earlier....", I know the feeling I wished I had taken up snowboarding yonks ago...It's just so much fun :clap2: Spent too many years pounding the tarmac :wall:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

luomu
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by luomu » Monday 19 March 2012, 7:47

Abrax is actually a modern ventriloquist. Only this time with a keyboard. I'm the lap doll. :tongue:

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Monday 19 March 2012, 21:18

Yes luomu, it's amazing how a classic act can be brought up to date with technology. So you sit on a virtual lap...
...the mind boggles ;-)
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Monday 19 March 2012, 22:13

I'm sitting here and despite this is another year with you my internet friends, I'm still amazed. It's almost unbelievable that one can meet another just virtually, make friendships with a really strong relationships and that still being just virtual grows to some unique situation, where you don't know a guy and you know him so good... I remember my primary school thoughts about relationships and I could not even imagine that this situation will ever be possible...

Wife asks: Who are you meeting with,
I answer: A friend from the forums.
w: You don't even know him,
I: Oh, come on, I've spent so much time clicking with him,
W: but you don't know him...

And in this particular moment you realize that you know him so good, but this same moment you don't even know how does his voice feel... Strange :-) And FANTASTIC! :D
www.carvingskills.com

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 20 March 2012, 14:13

Abrax,'tis very true...hopefully your wife will warn you of the 'strange' ones that lurk in the IT ether 8O :twisted:

Not the ECers of course :D
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 20 March 2012, 15:18

keepTheSport wrote:your wife will warn you of the 'strange' ones that lurk in the IT ether 8O :twisted:
My wife is a psychotherapist ;) We are not scared of this kind of lurkers. We deal with them easily and rapidly :wink:
www.carvingskills.com

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 22 March 2012, 6:20

Very cool to read your enthousiasm! Makes me want to go out boarding even more today! I never understand why everybody gets set up in duckstance nowadays, I don't see so many people end up doing park or pipe so why torture beginners with that stance?
It also reminds me to do some more rotational drills as I can carve but it's still not a beautiful style.... :snooty:

Abrax -> I don't think you should put those angles there like it's the only way to set it up. I use a lot of splay because I'm a bit bowlegged, and it's like riding with that old school tucked in knee for me if I set it up to something like +40 / +40
Fridgecarver

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Thursday 22 March 2012, 8:19

Hi transistorR

Yes people's enthusiasm is infectious. Are you near lots of snow? I'm stuck with fridge for summer but better than nowt :)

I am obssessed with this ec stuff. I'm sure i'm not alone :D
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

tali

Post by tali » Thursday 22 March 2012, 14:23

Well, do not forget about the southern hemisphere - they will have snow in a couple of months :roll: