It actually worked!!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

kieran
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: It actually worked!!

Post by kieran » Thursday 22 March 2012, 15:21

keepTheSport wrote:Hi transistorR

Yes people's enthusiasm is infectious. Are you near lots of snow? I'm stuck with fridge for summer but better than nowt :)

I am obssessed with this ec stuff. I'm sure i'm not alone :D
he gets to play at landgraaf. 520m long fridge.

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 22 March 2012, 16:12

keepTheSport wrote:Hi transistorR

Yes people's enthusiasm is infectious. Are you near lots of snow? I'm stuck with fridge for summer but better than nowt :)

I am obssessed with this ec stuff. I'm sure i'm not alone :D
I'm in Sölden now :pray2: so I really could go out this morning and do a few carves on my Swoard after I read it. Had some fabulous snow this week, but it's getting springy now. Tomorrow I'll go toch Hochsölden at once I think. And there's a very big chance I'll go to Penitentes in July :pray:

Landgraaf is nice, I used to go there in the summers as it was empty then and it's wide enough to throw down some turns before you run out of speed, but in the past two years they block the """steep""" part off for skiteams from all over Europe so I don't go there so often anymore. I think I'll take my sister once or twice in the time before I go to Argentina, usually in May the place is completely free of skiteams.
Fridgecarver

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Thursday 22 March 2012, 17:00

Transistor Rhythm wrote:Abrax -> I don't think you should put those angles there like it's the only way to set it up. I use a lot of splay because I'm a bit bowlegged, and it's like riding with that old school tucked in knee for me if I set it up to something like +40 / +40
It might have been a misunderstanding... I'm not a fan of 40/40 angles. But I try to tell that the optimal angles are much higher for a hardboots and a Swoard Extremecarver.

Its a very solid amount of knowledge but in general we should aim in 50-60/45-55 angles with a hard board and in 15-20/30-40 while on softboots.

Of corse this is an average of "usual riders" . While being bowlegged we use canting/bootcanting to compensate for these imprefections of nature :-)
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Thursday 22 March 2012, 17:09

OK maybe I didn't understand you so well! :)
Abrax wrote:Its a very solid amount of knowledge but in general we should aim in 50-60/45-55 angles with a hard board and in 15-20/30-40 while on softboots.
I would suggest a beginner to start with those angles too :bravo:
Fridgecarver

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Thursday 22 March 2012, 18:00

Transistor Rhythm wrote:I never understand why everybody gets set up in duckstance nowadays, I don't see so many people end up doing park or pipe so why torture beginners with that stance?
The answer is very simple. It is much faster to catch the basics of snowboard with a duck stance. The parents, seeing their children riding full hill just after 2 hours are in a good mood of well spent money, instructors get more job... People feel that snowboard is achievable.

And if one wants to improve his/her style there is usually a need for an instructor once more :-) (to change the stance from duck to angled and to relearn basics once more.) So more and more instructor hours needed here.

Don't fight it, make instructor papers! ;)

One more thing about the proper carving angles on a soft board -> 20/40 setup is a bit too high angled. This starts to be a bit uncomfortable. 15/30 is a good all around carving stance for soft boots.
www.carvingskills.com
580km in 3 hours and 5 minutes completely legal!!! I love german highways!!!

leeho730
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by leeho730 » Thursday 22 March 2012, 18:42

I don't believe modern soft boot bindings can support more than 30 degrees unless a third strap is added. Tried my other bindings for free carve and I have to say I failed miserably.. Two exceptions as far as I've experienced: flow NXT and catek fr series...

I also recon people should start with duck and move to forward stance for those who want to explore advanced carving...
Swoard 168M&S / Dual 158
TD3SW /F2 / Ibex
Stratos / RC10 / T700

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Thursday 22 March 2012, 19:59

I may be hounded off this site by saying that i still want to do some freestyle. So ill be a duck every now and again. Put that in your pipe n quack it :tongue:

But for now carving. Im keen to see how these new skils will crossover each discipline.

Tali i forgot about south hem :roll:

TransistorR, so you follow the snow. You lucky b....boarder :mrgreen:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Sunday 25 March 2012, 13:58

Okay, an update. I was at braehead fridge last night with my new le mans boots. No acss springs fitted yet.
Before i launch into stuff below i had a brilliant pm on the snow:-)
:D
The boots are not snug. Back foot getting pressure on outside ankle bone. Inside below ankle, much friction.inside shin some pressure soreness. Front foot fine. Overall too much room in boot, so feet slipping about.

Although i measured my foot to fit 25.5m, these boots go from 25.5 to 27.5. Will i be able to get liners thick enough to fill the gap?

Also with my dilema over a 161 or 168 board. These boots outershell measure a few mm over the 29.1 boot lenght for a 161. With no over hang being no 1 for a swoard. I am still not sure of choosing 168 because my weigbt might not bend board. Maybe i need to purchase smaller boots? Still very experimental for me.

Anyway, overall i got on much much better than first time in hardboots. Poma no prob this tiime. Just practising rotation, not worrying whether carving or not. Was picking up a lot more speed than last time. The set up was amazing when hitting clumps of snow. I even found that rotation was becomig so auto, that i could start thinking about getting lower on transverse etc. Still tons practice tho' 8O

Well a few people asked about the set up. Surprise, even a couple of 'it looks cool' remarks were made. Of course i mention carving and swoard :clap2: the irony is an article re kevin jones in jan12 issue of whitelines magazine (i promise to buy carving mag, it was all they had in the shop!), is a comment"people in neon suits, hard boots-it didn't look that appealing". Well neon's been back in and younger people are beginning to see hardboots as cool- yaaay.

Any comments are a appreciated and yes i have read about liners and will do so again
:D
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

Fefe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fefe » Sunday 25 March 2012, 16:59

Hello

Welcome to Raichle/Deeluxe world :twisted: I think you gave us the upper shell size (looks like medium size), your boot size is inside the lower base. If you look again it should be just below the upper shell measure, but written on the lower base (more details here) You should have 25.5-26 or 25-25.5 and you shouldn't have any problem with fitting liners. Otherwise, Deeluxe is known for the problems you mentionned. But there are no problems only solutions :evil2:. You know what I'm going to say :D Time for bootfitting and baking liners :tongue:

Have fun and enjoy the scones while baking :D

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Sunday 25 March 2012, 18:19

Fefe thanks for your help :)

I get comfort(no pun intended) knowing that my list of ailments are known obstacles. Tx for pointing out re lower shell readings. My reading is 26 to 26.5. The liners have 260 on them, i presume mm?
Can i bake this liner to shrink it a bit?

Yes i am due a batch of scones. I shall add dried fruit to make the Deeluxe version :silly:
I shall re read the thread. Eventually the snow-flake will drop 8O
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

kieran
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kieran » Monday 26 March 2012, 13:17

those liners aren't bakeable. are you using a footbed/orthotic?

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Monday 26 March 2012, 22:19

Kieran,tx pointing out about non bakeable liners. :) It was only after re reading the boot fitting section that i realised this too.

Interesting you mention sole type thingys as that was my next move along with bit extra padding in front of shin. Trial n error stuff. Tbh they were not that bad :D
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

kieran
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kieran » Monday 26 March 2012, 23:29

with a footbed your foot may be shorter due to raising the arch, so that would only make the front-of-foot space issue seem worse, though the rest of your foot might be more comfortable.

what size does the liner say it is?

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Tuesday 27 March 2012, 0:22

Says 260, i think 26?

I'm gonna' put walking boot liners in deeluxe,see what it feels like :D
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!

keepTheSport
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by keepTheSport » Monday 2 April 2012, 22:42

Just another update. At fridge again last sat. Advice n help from kieran, i got 'superfeet' insoles, few tweaks to boots n bindings----result–----all previously mentioned issues solved :D

Fefe, your right - problem solved :) no scones tho' :roll:

Cheers again kieran :bravo:
Such fun-gr!
One more try-bk!