Where am I?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Friday 19 February 2010, 16:56

The heel lift might just be because you ride a stiffer race board. The board will not bend a lot when you pressure it. If you ride a board like Swoard the board will provide natural heel lift by bending. So don't worry about it.

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Friday 19 February 2010, 17:23

I think I am getting the technique but the slopes I feel safe on are not steap enough to get the board to bend enough. So I end up needing more lift not to pull my legs out of the boots ;) That hurts!

I think, while learning, one should use a bit of cant/lift to get used to the technique first. Then, while progressing to steaper slopes or Swoard, start riding flat. Otherwise it will hurt a lot (my back foot!) or one will not be able to bend both knees equally (see my balance).

Transistor Rhythm
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Transistor Rhythm » Friday 19 February 2010, 22:19

Sometimes your boots limit your motions. I think your old Raichles at least support walk mode, you could test if this gives you enough bootflex. Do not keep riding in walk mode because it can lead to injury. If it helps, try getting more flex out of your boots by reading all tips about that subject on this forum. Too much information to repeat here.

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Saturday 20 February 2010, 7:10

I modified my Raichles with a progressive spring that activates on pulling (instead of compression as in BTS), it's around 45 N/mm and works pretty well.

I think all things left is my technique and eventually - the Swoard!

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Sunday 21 February 2010, 14:11

Guys, you helped me a lot! I feel more 'planted' on the slope, all feels more natural.

I could see the improvement maily after applying:
- more weight on the front foot and more flex in the front knee,
- riding more relaxed with much more rotation, especially on the front side,
- rotation timing (paired with cross-under) not earlier or later,
- more board angulation to get more edge grip in difficult conditions.

I could see the main advantage of EC-style over the facing-the-slope style - much more edge grip, especially on ice and steap slopes. I could feel the G forces much better, too. And I it was almost effortless.

There is still a lot left to do but I know what's not right and I know HOW TO fix it! This is a perfect ending of the season.

So thank you Hans, Starikashka, manuchill, Transistor Rhythm, crack676, Frunobulax, tomasso2k and skywalker for the training plan, joemzl for Ben's video that was very helpful. It was an awesome experience!

Even though the snow conditions in the last day were very difficult (lots of ice and hard bumps, snowing hard making it impossible to see the ice/bumps) I could still carve with moderate effort and lots of pleasure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSi2aiYzpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OC8xkXHZwA

I wouldn't think it was possible to hold an edge in such conditions at all! I used that morning mainly to do advised exercises.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Sunday 21 February 2010, 15:04

now you need to get rid of small lean of upper body in backside :-) ther is some secret tip about that :-)

in some frontsides you still counterotate a little and leaning to the slope. Rotate shoulders in more dynamic way - you should not rotate it during the turn.

P.S. great improvement by the way.
i`m learning

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Monday 22 February 2010, 11:44

frunobulax wrote:168 RS is simply way too soft for you with 85 kg. If you get the chance lay your hand on a stiffer, and perhaps longer board.
I have been thinking about that. I actually chose the length according to the table 1 on 'selecting your Swoard Extremecarver' site. With regards to the stiffness, I the RS has about a medium flex, so it would be a substitute of a Swoard 168M, roughly. It's all far from perfect but I reckon it's good enough for my level of EC-ing :lol: I know the Speedster in not a Swoard but for now I am stuck with substitutes due to finantial reasons (my whole quiver of 4 boards is worth 1/4th of one used Swoard!).

On top of that I usually ride pretty bad conditions with a lot of ice, moguls and bumps, so I need a reasonably soft board. And I ride probably about 7 days per year - I probably would not manage a more demanding long board... but perhaps I sould try, I am surely tempted!
starikashka wrote:now you need to get rid of small lean of upper body in backside :-) ther is some secret tip about that :-)
What's the secret, then? :oops:
starikashka wrote:in some frontsides you still counterotate a little and leaning to the slope. Rotate shoulders in more dynamic way - you should not rotate it during the turn.
I noticed that, thanks for confirmation. I am working on these. Counter-rotations are very difficult to get rid of!
starikashka wrote:P.S. great improvement by the way.

Thanks! I can definitely feel the improvement but I can't see it, that's why this thread was started! I can't analyze the video's like you do.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Monday 22 February 2010, 15:34

sabestian wrote: And I ride probably about 7 days per year

This has to be improved immediately and rapidly....by let`s say 300-500%
sabestian wrote:
starikashka wrote:now you need to get rid of small lean of upper body in backside :-) ther is some secret tip about that :-)
What's the secret, then? :oops:

When you go to the hill next year there will be something availiable that shows all secrets..:-) i think...First tip - rotate shoulders as much as possible and keep your body straight :-)
i`m learning

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Monday 22 February 2010, 15:59

starikashka wrote:

Neither my boss nor my wife would agree with you on that. :?

manuchill
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by manuchill » Monday 22 February 2010, 21:05

same here,

practice on a longboard during summer helped me a lot and regular visits to an indoor ski area aswell
SWOARD EC Pro 175H + F2 Race Titanium + Head Stratos Pro with ACSS attached personally by Arnaud ;)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 23 February 2010, 8:47

sabestian wrote:
starikashka wrote:

Neither my boss nor my wife would agree with you on that. :?
:-) make a present for her - swoard decorated with swarovski crystals and nice skiing suit :-)
You need to get advice from Istvan how to convience your boss that snowboarding is a key to keep your daily job efficiency :-)
i`m learning

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Tuesday 23 February 2010, 12:08

Agree. 20 days a season will help you to get to a decent level and to keep in shape.

Also agree on the tactics:
- buy presents for your wife and give it to her when you return from snowboarding. Ever heard of Pavlov's dog? It'll work.
- tell your employer that snowboarding is something beyond rationality for you. For me it is not even up to discussion. I go snowboarding and that's it. And they know it. Especially ECS is not up for discussion. It is in burnt into my calendar and all the rest is deleted....

Well, with all honesty on the other hand many times I have to dial in to conference calls from the mountain top.....

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Tuesday 23 February 2010, 14:12

István wrote:Agree. 20 days a season will help you to get to a decent level and to keep in shape.

Also agree on the tactics:
- buy presents for your wife and give it to her when you return from snowboarding. Ever heard of Pavlov's dog? It'll work.
- tell your employer that snowboarding is something beyond rationality for you. For me it is not even up to discussion. I go snowboarding and that's it. And they know it. Especially ECS is not up for discussion. It is in burnt into my calendar and all the rest is deleted....
Agreed with you!
The wife's present, in my case a cruise, has to be more expensive than the gear you buy!!
Also it makes you a better husband/boyfriend because you always have a grin on your face when there is snow on the slope.
Good luck. :D
Carve Diem

sabestian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sabestian » Tuesday 23 February 2010, 14:57

István wrote:Ever heard of Pavlov's dog? It'll work.
LMAO :lol:

With regards to my employer... problem is, I am my own boss. And it is tricky to do psychological tricks on yourself! Even if you have tripple personality like myself. I mean ourselfs. :) But seriously, being self-employed is a tough deal, you don't work you don't earn, you don't earn, you don't pay up your mortgage... So even if you go riding, you get stressed if it's for too long. Bloody capitalism! :roll: 8O :D

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Tuesday 23 February 2010, 18:04

sabestian wrote: With regards to my employer... problem is, I am my own boss.
Oh f*ck!! It`s a big problem...But there is an option to deal even with this terrible situation :-)

Istvan :-) we had a guy in our company who had mobile phone with a possibility to have videoconference...When he had a vacation somwhere outside Russia he made few videoconference..feel himself very important guy..Later he was fired due to terrible mobile phone expences...GPRS roaming is very expensive thing. :-)
i`m learning