Deeluxe INDY Thermo Fit *SOLVED*

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Saturday 19 December 2009, 20:56

Yes, pokkis, +1 to the question... ? On the other hand the article I pointed in the previous post is saying completely different things... And My feel of the liner is just perfect, except maybe the molding of the heel which I will have to change a bit.

starikashka-> 70 degr is for the customfit which is usually fitted in rollerblading and with trekking shoes...
starikashka wrote:No, you can`t see that from the video :-) both times i`ve prepared the feet in same way. I just not followed procedure in other things so this did not provide a comfort for the situation of long vacation of 7..10 riding days. For weekend carving this was absolutely ok.
I was meaning that Your feet after putting all the plasters and the foam were far to big comparing to Your normal shape... So that's why I've thought that after the first molding the boots were too big and needed remolding to fit Your feet once more. Now I can see that I was missing the truth ;-)

Magicians do the things the other people could never say are possible. They are used to see the things different. We - from the specific countries look at the things differently. There is an example -> in the car engines there is a part which is telling the computer about the proper underpressure in the intake manifold. It is hard to say if it is good or broken, and of corse as always there is special tool that measures if it looses it's underpressure or not. As it is a special tool it costs a small fortune and the garage doesn't have it... So the thing takes place in the early eighties in West Germany. The owner of the garage is telling to the employees that they are unable to check the part without the tool and following this to fix the car... Hearing this, polish mechanic who works in the garage takes this part into his mouth, sucks a bit, waits 15 secs, releases the suction and says, that the part is 120% good.... And he is right! Without loosing this small fortune ;-)

I mean that I don't think that in wealthier countries there are many people who will look at 2 sizes too small liner and realise that it WILL fit, because it is moldable... For them it will always be too small. And You are magicians, doing just unbelievable things :-)

Anyway, pokkis -> very nice site with the liners - thanks, it seems that I will rebirth my old hardshells! :-)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 19 December 2009, 21:16

Abrax wrote:I was meaning that Your feet after putting all the plasters and the foam were far to big comparing to Your normal shape... So that's why I've thought that after the first molding the boots were too big and needed remolding to fit Your feet once more. Now I can see that I was missing the truth ;-)
Yep :-) If i would shoot baking process until full completion you would see how this foam looks after :-) This is very close to my normal size :-) I tell you more - when i enter the boot without the liner there were almost no space behind the heel. But i was able to enter the boot WITH liner :-) I`m not sure where we find this, i suggest that this technology and recommendations comes from "CMC era" on bomberonline.com. Not sure if it`s true.

Russia is wealth country:-)Oil is close to 80 :-) Prices in our shops almost two times more than in shops on european ski-resorts.
i`m learning

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Saturday 19 December 2009, 21:28

Original white/gray Deeluxe theromos were quite good but all after that was way down :evil:
Palau thermos are as good as original ones or to be exact, they are even better :wink: with them you can get those boot really feel like gloves on your feet :D

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Saturday 19 December 2009, 21:40

I meant that in wealthier countries (in which people earn much more) people would not try to fit in but would buy bigger shells. I know that the point was to fit in with the shortest shell possible and BRAVO! The goal was reached.

I was trying to point the different kind of thinking. It's about the specific mind we have in common. I didn't mean that russia is not wealthy country!!!!! No at all:-) I was not talking about the country itself but the habits we still have after the system we were born in...

Some will search in the shops some will invent, some will do it better, that's all :-)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Saturday 19 December 2009, 22:49

Thinking is the same, this is depends on individuals, not on the country :-) when you need something that is not availiable on the market you will get it. See Arnaud boots upgrades and some other things people inventing :-) Swoard for example :-) I`ve seen garage crafted bindings on the mirror Virus ridden by one of FB guys :-)

I`m working in large oil company, earn quite good stuff, but still like to handcraft some stuff for myself :-)
i`m learning

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Saturday 19 December 2009, 23:38

Yeap, that's exactly what I wanted to say... Sorry for misunderstandings ;-)

yyzcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Don't BAKE

Post by yyzcanuck » Monday 21 December 2009, 20:05

Abrax wrote:My liner looks different...
That liner is not designed for 'baking' or cooking. You should only use localized heating from a heat gun or heat stack type device.

Heat only the toe and/or heel area... don't put into an oven for all over heating.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Don't BAKE

Post by starikashka » Monday 21 December 2009, 20:18

yyzcanuck wrote:That liner is not designed for 'baking' or cooking. You should only use localized heating from a heat gun or heat stack type device.

Heat only the toe and/or heel area... don't put into an oven for all over heating.
Just recently know one guy who was confused by "full thermo fit" and did what you strongly not recommending :-)
i`m learning

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Tuesday 22 December 2009, 22:11

Today after one day of riding, I can say that I find Deeluxe INDY as a very nicely designed hardboots. Except maybe the liner (sic!) and the RAB system, which completely sucks if it comes to stock design.

The RAB I have is another topic, and I think that I will simply go with BTS, or this kind of stuff,

But the liner...

I can't agree with the article mentioned above. They say that this liner is the best liner ever, which is actually not true. My tongue has given me painful afternoon and my heels were travelling up and down a bit. It's far from the ideal situation, and I was considering baking with cousciousness. But there is the tongue which is from plastic and whole liner is not looking like it should be put into the oven. The biggest surprise for me was the highest part of the liner, the one which is surrounded by the power strap. During the day I had to change it's position to proper, because it's back part simply went out of the hardshell causing painful press in the back of my legs... For me it's a complete disaster.

I am strongly considering internet buy from the palau-boutique...

But I will give them a try first. So tomorrow I will glue the traveller to stick it to the place ;-) And I will search for the new oven because I am going to use mine for baking my liners... I think that I will have the results just the last day of december as we plan to go snowboarding this day. We will measure their real value. By now they have 4 with the 10 degree scale, but the shell itself is near to ideal. 9/10 because of the fault RAB system, which works well, bu after putting it upside/down as was suggested by Jacques and drilling which was my proposition due to locking springs.
starikashka wrote:Just recently know one guy who was confused by "full thermo fit" and did what you strongly not recommending Smile
starikashka - if his liners are still alive... can You please suggest the baking temperature? ;-)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 23 December 2009, 10:15

Abrax. I do not know if the liner still alive, more probable that is not. I`ll check.

I do not recommend you to get those into the oven, they are not designed for this. Do not rush, maybe you will need to sell the boots and buy other size. Can you please explain how you have chosen the size, who was your advisor.
i`m learning

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Wednesday 23 December 2009, 14:23

The size... My feet are just about 28cm long, so I think, that I've bought the proper size for them, measuring 28,5cm lenght inside the liner. The only advisor was me and my 7 other pairs of boots (ski, snowboard and rollerblades - yes I've made some mistakes before...) And as this is rather small size, it suits my 19cm board well with 54 and 47 degr angles, so I don't have to force smaller shell size. I can comfortably do EC and I'm not touching the snow with the shell or any part of the binding.

The size is absolutely perfect for me. My toes are comfortable, the foot is stable and is not travelling inside the liner, and I feel that I won't sell these boots :-)

But the stock liner is not perfect. It has a tongue which actually causes my shin-bone hurt. And because these liners are (partially) moldable I think about suiting them better than now. So I need to fix shin-bone and the heel which are the only two moldable parts in the liner :-) These are the only two parts that really needs to be fixed, so I think that thermo-fitting will do it.

Of corse I'm not in a rush and I will wait till we will have the right know-how :-)

Now the liners are glued and the back of the highest part of the liner is not going to move anymore, so I believe that it will not hurt my calf anymore.

I think, that putting these liners into the oven is not the best idea, because of plastic tongue in the front but I believe that it can be done. Anyway I won't be the first to experiment this... I've checked two shops in my city but they don't have a special liners heating machine, so I'm searching...

I think that the best idea is to heat them from the inside while having the liner inside the shell, but I don't really want to experiment with the right temperature on my own.

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Wednesday 23 December 2009, 15:41

Abrax wrote:My heels were travelling up and down a bit. It's far from the ideal situation, and I was considering baking with cousciousness.

I am strongly considering internet buy from the palau-boutique...
This was why i asked about the size. If you want to use fully moldable liners you would need choose the size carefully. Because, if you are agressive rider, liner will increase inner space due to load you creating and then heel start moving again. Our idea to get 2 sizes down is based on the suggestion that thermoflex will have higher density and became more durable
If you will ride quite relaxing overrecreational style - it maybe would work.

The shell you have chosen is similar for 28 and 28.5 size liners. The procedure of choosing the shells for thermoflex liners is widely known - you need 10-20 mm behind your heel when you are in the shell without the liner. If you have more - throw this out or use regular liner. If you have less throw this out or visit bootfitter who can heat the shell and provide additional few 3-5 mm. Of cource, if you have any with hands growing not from the ass :-)
i`m learning

Dida
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dida » Wednesday 23 December 2009, 22:25

I have the same liner. This full thermo fit.
It's awful. I've tried to mold it using a really hot hair fan for a couple of minutes, until the inner fuse turned the fan off, and the liner didn't budge. Maybe using those Raichle blowers would do something, but I doubt it.
Also, the whole liner is too big. It is for really wide feet. The heel doesn't sit well in place. No matter how hard you buckle up, there's always a little bit of heel lift. The part over the metatarsus is too wide and when you buckle up, you have the feeling like your foot is loose in the front end. Plus, the part that goes over the metatarsus (grey part) is really soft and doesn't provide that feeling like your foot is in the boot stiff and secured yet comfortable (hugged, so to speak).
And last but not least, the footbed in there is a complete joke. It has no arch support whatsoever.

I am currently riding on Indys with liners from LeMans (also non thermo). These are better in every way. The heel sits in place perfectly, the liner "hugs" your foot thus making you feel comfortable, and the footbeds aren't completely flat (nevertheless, I have custom footbeds).

All in all, these thermo fit liners are probably acceptable for racing because of their stiffnes, but for all day long freecarving... not so good.
Swoard 175 M

Other boards: F2 Spee... who cares anyway?!?

Abrax
Swoard team
Swoard team

Post by Abrax » Thursday 24 December 2009, 0:02

I also had a feeling that these liners would be good for one race rather than for long carving day... But if so, they should keep everything in place, without any trouble except maybe too hard foam or things like that.

I have put a 7mm felt footbed below the deeluxe one which were inside the liners. These are completely flat, but they are flexible so it is OK now. It helped me much and the second buckle is no more set to maximum... It solved the foot problem which was not mentioned before, but the heel and the tongue problems still exists...

starikashka: I have 1,7cm room without the liner. So the shells are ok...

dida: The hair fans I know usually lets heating up to 60-70 degr because they would hurt peoples skin, so they are unable to heat the liners enough. Heatguns are stronger, but they usually work between 150 and 400 degr... So they are far from beeing good for the liners because it is hard not to overheat them. Some time ago we've used heatgun with the voltage regulator and it helped, but the liners needed just 70 degr... It was tricky and dangerous to the liners, because we had troubles with the right temperature and the proper flow.

Here -> I've found that: "Thermofit liners cannot be heat-molded using a convection oven, but they do have areas on the heel and tongue that self-mold to your foot. They have a Velcro strap. When buying DeeLuxe boots, it's important to determine whether you are getting the Thermoflex liner or the Thermofit liner."

So it seems that I will need to buy a liner in palau :-)

On the other hand the almanach says: "The liner will be hot enough when it has the exact same consistency as breast implants. " Yeap, so I will ask a friend of my wife to assist me with the molding ;)

starikashka
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by starikashka » Thursday 24 December 2009, 7:53

Abrax wrote:starikashka: I have 1,7cm room without the liner. So the shells are ok...

:-) I would prefer less room :-)
Abrax wrote:On the other hand the almanach says: "The liner will be hot enough when it has the exact same consistency as breast implants. " Yeap, so I will ask a friend of my wife to assist me with the molding ;)
Friend of your wife has breast implants?:-) Shot the video how you will do the molding with her assistance :-)
i`m learning