Helmet or no helmet?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

When you ride/carve, do you wear a helmet? (you can vote once and have to register first)

Never
32%
Always
58%
Only off piste
1%
Only on piste
No votes
Sometimes (off/on piste)
9%

Total votes: 91

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hans » Monday 8 December 2003, 18:38

Harald,
I fully agree with you. I don't understand the skiers and boarders not wearing a helmet. The reason that you can't hear a thing, or that it influences your balance is not an argument at all. The people who say this, simply think that a helmet is not cool. Well, it's very cool when you have a headconcussion and snowboarding or even worse, your life is over. It's for your own safety. I am wearing a helmet since 2001 when I did fall very hard at the back of my head on a piece of hard frozen snow when I made a not so succesfull jump with my slalomboard. I not only wear a helmet, but I wear the whole bit: back-, knee-, and buttprotector. It doesn't matter what I do, freeride, freecarve or offpiste. I feel much safer now when I ride hard/fast. And an advantage of this whole protectiongear, it keeps you warm and therefore you will stay better tuned as you will when you are cold.

Greets, Hans.

Skylar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skylar » Tuesday 9 December 2003, 1:12

Helmets are defiantly a safer way to snowboard. I would never argue about that and yes they are like insurance protection from the, what ifs for a monthly premium and when disaster dose strike every one is so very thankful they have insurance. However, how many of you like insurance companies. All I am saying is I under stand the risk involved in not wearing a helmet, and choose the added sensation of nothing on my head. I also do not where hats and goggles unless it is necessary.

Skylar
Who would have thought standing on my saucer sled would have gone this far?

BlueDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Helmet is a MUST

Post by BlueDevil » Friday 16 January 2004, 19:35

OK, I know this is a bit out-of-date, but....

From this year in Italy ALL the skiers & boarders under 14 yrs of age MUST wear helmets! I find that a very good decision.

I have the helmet for 5 years now. This is my 2nd helmet. My 1st one was broken when a skier hit me from the behind! Can you immagine what force was it to break a helmet, and what would my (empty) head look like without it?
Not to mention that 3 yrs ago experience...Standing on the slope, taking that 1-minute-break to regain air in my lungs. I start, i make 4-5 mtrs and decide to carve in like a madman. Of course that I saw the board tip coming at me at MACH 3. But I was barely moving! .... concussion. For 2 days I had very hard time remembering some things from the past 2 weeks. And I was barely moving.

I think the helmet is a MUST, especially for ECarvers.

AlpentalRider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AlpentalRider » Wednesday 14 April 2004, 6:53

I never wore a helmet until 5 years ago. My thoughts were that I was good enough to not make a mistake so I figured I didn't need one.

Then one day my friend and I were going through a favorite tree run we love, and just as I started cresting one of the rollers I saw 2 snowboarders who had planted themselves right behind the crest.

I had just enough time to bail out of my line as not to decapitate them...only problem was a tree was the only alternative for my escape route. I was VERY lucky to have seen it in time and put up my hands to absorb the impact.

I ended up with a slight concussion and a broken wrist from the impact. And the very next week I bought a helmet. I quickly realized that it's not necessarily me making a mistake that can injure me, but the stupidity of others that I must protect myself from.

Rietzschel
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rietzschel » Thursday 15 April 2004, 14:55

Hello people, I feel the urge to reply.

I can only speak for myself when I say that my carvinghappiness :!: is integrated with wearing my helmet. Just that I want to minimize my risks of leaving before my holidays end.
Arjan, I agree with you completely looking before leaving and during my turns.
Also I use a smaller board (Nitro GT 154 :twisted: ) in crowded area's to decrease my speed and go around the square metre.

Greetz Guido

Dave
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dave » Thursday 15 April 2004, 17:30

Hey,

I see a bat thing about waring a helmet; I see some guys ride with a helmet
and they haven't any knowledge about danger.
Specialy youngsters!!!! :naughty:

You must always ride with a helmet like you ride without, so you don't take as much risks!

Ride safe, Dave

bowen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bowen » Thursday 15 April 2004, 22:22

i want do drive with helmet!!! but i cant!!!

becaus there is no helmet in the hole market that fits with my head!!!

i tested every singel manufacturer!!! by some i was in the factory store, and if i put on therr biggest one, they look like this 8O

later i fond out, that many tall man with ab "big" head, have same problems.

mostley they dont fit specialy int highness! so i see many men and many, many kids with to smal helmets!

i hope the industry will reacte on this facts am manufacture more bigger sizes.

if anybody nows a maufacturer for custom helmets pleas tell me!!!!
...sunny days ar the best!

Hans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Fits of helmets

Post by Hans » Thursday 15 April 2004, 23:34

Hi, Bowen

I had almost the same problem as you. There are two ways that manufacturers make their helmets: for people with round heads and people with oval heads. So I am oval headed. First I had a Skycap from Burton/RED which is more suited for people with rounded heads I think.
I now have a big Dainese helmet. (My head is 61,5 cm, so not the biggest but anyway big). It fits me really well. Also a good helmet for people with big oval heads is the http://www.ovousa.com/helmet_titan.asp and the http://www.ovousa.com/helmet_bomber.asp. Fits up to 63 cm. These are also helmets for oval headed people.

The Dainese I wear is the Stinger Helmet, www.dainese.com.

Greets, Hans. Good luck by finding a helmet that will fit you.

bowen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bowen » Friday 16 April 2004, 7:46

Hi Hans,

thanx for the tip.

the theory with roend and ovak heds ist intresting. so i think they ar manufacture to 90% for round heads:-)

i have 62cm, but i thing an oooooooooooooooval head :lol:

i will take a look for next season

servus
bowen
...sunny days ar the best!