Carveboard and street carving

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Ditch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Carveboard and street carving

Post by Ditch » Thursday 25 September 2003, 16:11

I have been riding with the guys from pureboarding http://www.pureboarding.com (extreme carvers if you dont know them) and they have been using this for there summer training. http://www.carveboard.com ... I got myself one and was blown away, the feeling of control as you transverse from edge to edge, serious deep rail turns, front side and back, the thing holds the road like glue. It is available in europe, where I got mine, http://www.carvesports.com and if you are serious about carving, I suggest you check it out ...

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

hehe

Post by nils » Thursday 25 September 2003, 17:56

Yes we are likely to test this after the season, Lots of friends are riding it !
The small model seems the best (to my opinion the big one is too big ;)
I hope we can get some test models...Videos look great ( especially this one of Brad Gerlach (one of my surfers heros ;) in the skate park you can almost hear the spray of water when he hits the lip !

To be followed!!

Nils

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Carveboard

Post by rcrobar » Friday 26 September 2003, 1:12

Hi Nils

The selection of the larger (wheels that are filled with air) carveboard or the smaller Stik (Urethane skateboard type wheels) carveboard inspired deck, would probably depend on where you plan on riding most often.

Are you riding down a long road or are you in a banked run at a skatepark?

Are you commuting around town on the board or are you planning to riding up in a car or truck, then riding down a long hill?

There are many hills where I live, with roads that have a very rough surface; the Canadian winters are hard on the pavement. If I was to ride the “stik” down my local hills, the harder and smaller diameter wheels would give a rough ride and would have trouble going over the larger cracks and rocks on the road.

The air filled wheels make for a very smooth ride that absorbs the small rocks, cracks and generally rough surface. They also afford you the ability to set the air pressure at 20, 30, 40, or even 50 psi, depending on your weight, the grade of the hill and how fast you want to go. I have found that using 30 psi for fairly steep hills and 50 psi for pumping the flats works well.

Some say the larger carveboard is too heavy to carry up a hill, but I’m not sure why they are carrying the board. I’ve taken the leash from my Bomber bindings and used it as a tow rope. I pull the board up the hill the same way you pull a toboggan in the winter time. The board is pretty much weightless and the strap fits into your pocket for the ride down.

Rob