Volkl v-flex riser plates and palmer powerlinks

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

frogz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Volkl v-flex riser plates and palmer powerlinks

Post by frogz » Saturday 19 April 2003, 14:57

Hello everyone, i am new to the forums, and snowboarding :D

May i say what a great site this is, glad i found it as i have learned alot from the technique page i think.

Anyway, to my question.

Has anyone tried the Volkl v-flex riser plates ( http://www.v-flex.de ) or palmer powerlinks? I have heard good things on other forums, especially that they really help with making turning more effortless etc. There seem to be many people using them even though they do not have big feet. Even on a normal width board with size 7-8 feet (UK) or 48 euro?
I know someone who has used them and he has normal size feet.....he said they were very very good.

Would these be a good thing for a new boarder to use? I have just learned to turn properly (not carve YET) so have been considering buying some.

Looking forward to the responses.

:---)

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Re: Volkl v-flex riser plates and palmer powerlinks

Post by fivat » Wednesday 23 April 2003, 14:00

There is a paradoxicalthing about Volkl. Three years ago, while they used 3-directional fiber for many models (including freeride boards), they changed for 2-directional fiber which has however a lower torsion stiffness and poorer carving performances (the interest is only economical... for them, not for the customer). And now they propose the "v-flex" which should improve the performances the boards have lost :roll:

A good board should have a device inside the board to get excellent performances, not outside! But the merchants have understood that people in the shops believe only what they see and can touch...

Anyway the "v-flex" is a good thing if your board has weak peformances... Or if you have big feet (because of the elevation effect). But why not buy a fat board? And don't forget that the elevation effect has no effect (!) in extremecarving: during the laid turn the inclination is 90° and the toes/heels touch the snow anyway! It's only OK for normal carving, with small inclination (less than 45°).
frogz wrote:Would these be a good thing for a new boarder to use? I have just learned to turn properly (not carve YET) so have been considering buying some.
No, I don't think it's so crucial for a beginner who don't feel yet the limits of the board performances. Then buy a good board instead of a bad board + "v-flex" :)

-Patrice Fivat