Difficulty with backside turn

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

literbiker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Difficulty with backside turn

Post by literbiker » Wednesday 16 April 2003, 3:17

Hello

I'm comfortable with frontside turns, and I get fairly low (although I can't yet slide my body across the snow intentionally). Backside turns are another matter. On the same run, my board tracks smoothly through the frontside turns, but on the backside my board seems to be upset by every bump and sometimes skids out. I think my edge change, weight distribution or perhaps even the canting on my boots may be the problem. Could anyone offer a suggestion?

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Wednesday 16 April 2003, 7:04

What kind of board and setting do you have?

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Backside

Post by RicHard » Wednesday 16 April 2003, 18:50

As far as I discovered, 90% of the backside problems come from the straight and stiff legs that let you be stiff and out of balance inside the turn.
Have a video of you and check if your legs are bent enough during the curve. Try to keep with your back hand the edge between the two tip of your feet: that is almost the maximum bend you can have, so you can check how far are you from that and discover if your legs are really bent in order to absorb the bumps and to keep you balanced on the backside edge.
Ciao!
_RicHard

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

we do the exact opposite

Post by nils » Thursday 17 April 2003, 9:13

We do the opposite, and push the legs until they are straight in the turns.. feeling shall be like jacques described it> falling backwards onto a bed..
It implies you are using the rotation thechnique, and start the turn very early before the board has even started going downside on the hill... check extremedreamer video here and especially the parts where the camera is behind the riders...you will see how extended the legs are..
N.

literbiker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks everyone for the input

Post by literbiker » Friday 18 April 2003, 23:07

Hello

Jacques, funny you should ask about the settings and board. I was so impressed with the way you guys ride, I bought the board that seemed closest to the ones you are riding (before you offered the Swoard), and set my bindings as close as possible to your settings. The board is a Coiler 177 All Mountain w/ 21.5 cm waist and higher than normal torsional stiffness. My bindings are set at 55 and 50 degrees, about 51 cm apart, just enough to avoid almost all overhang.

I appreciate everybody's suggestions. Someone mentioned beginning the turn early. That's my problem, I think. I'm initiating the turn too late. I'll try fixing that and try to get a friend to take some video as well. Thanks.