Board length for lightweight rider (and technique question)

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Saturday 3 November 2007, 13:48

Hello everybody,

thank you very much for all the advice!
I think I really have to put more pressure on the edge to bend the board more during the turns. So I'll continue studying EC videos and try to learn the push-pull technique.

By the way, if there is anybody among you who is light weight like me, I'd like to know what kind of board he/she uses.

Christian
:)
SWOARD EXTREMECARVER GEN4 168s + 161m, Deeluxe 225 + ACSS

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: No doctrines. Extensions, push-pull, ... all is good.

Post by RicHard » Saturday 3 November 2007, 13:55

fivat wrote:Nobody is promoting a technique or another. :D All depends on what you want to do. I say that one should not focus on one technique all the time but use different techniques!

I'm often surprised about that fact that people are thinking that Jacques and I are laying down the turns all the days 8O (maybe because of the videos whose objective is to show something new/different). But we do many other things: different type of turns and techniques, racing (especially Jacques who loves this), moguls and freeriding with soft boots.
Ohps! I think this is the main point! Watching the site, the videos, etc, the "guest" is leaded toward thinking that you are "horizontal" all the day! :)
fivat wrote:It's interesting to see that even at racing, champions like the Schoch brothers are using the push-pull technique at some moments. They don't use only extension turns. The energy doesn't come only from the technique itself but from the rider too ;-) It's even funny to see now wider boards at racing ;-) Finally!
Yes... different styles for different persons/uses/gears/moments/moods. Once again: better to know all of them than just one. :)
_RicHard
Kessler The Alpine 168 - FTWO Speester RS Proto 179 (2012) - Burton Fire boots

RicHard
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RicHard » Saturday 3 November 2007, 13:57

christian61 wrote:I think I really have to put more pressure on the edge to bend the board more during the turns. So I'll continue studying EC videos and try to learn the push-pull technique.
Christian, you've got just half of what people suggested. :roll:
You have to learn push-pull technique as you have to learn the flexion/extension one.
Then you can choose.
What about take some lessons (even just a couple of hours) and follow the suggestions of an instructor?
;)
_RicHard
Kessler The Alpine 168 - FTWO Speester RS Proto 179 (2012) - Burton Fire boots

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Saturday 3 November 2007, 14:04

RicHard wrote:Yes... different styles for different persons/uses/gears/moments/moods. Once again: better to know all of them than just one. :)
:clap3: :bravo: Exactly!

Patrice Fivat

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Saturday 3 November 2007, 14:08

Hello Richard,
RicHard wrote:What about take some lessons (even just a couple of hours) and follow the suggestions of an instructor?
;)
Here in northern Bavaria we are glad if there is enough snow on the slopes to go skiing/snowboarding at all. Snowboard instruction is available only for beginners in softboots. And the Alps are at least a 2.5 hour drive away. :cry:
But, of course, you are right. Whenever I'll have the chance to get a lesson by a really qualified instructor, I'll grab it.

Christian

trp7
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by trp7 » Saturday 3 November 2007, 15:50

fivat wrote:Nobody is promoting a technique or another. :D All depends on what you want to do. I say that one should not focus on one technique all the time but use different techniques!

I'm often surprised about that fact that people are thinking that Jacques and I are laying down the turns all the days 8O (maybe because of the videos whose objective is to show something new/different). But we do many other things: different type of turns and techniques, racing (especially Jacques who loves this), moguls and freeriding with soft boots.

It's interesting to see that even at racing, champions like the Schoch brothers are using the push-pull technique at some moments. They don't use only extension turns. The energy doesn't come only from the technique itself but from the rider too ;-) It's even funny to see now wider boards at racing ;-) Finally!
oooh! is a pleasure to read these words from you! surely this is a good teaching for the people attend this forum!
i'm versus some "monothematic" visions, considering alpine snowboard only under one perspective, and taking your school too "seriously" (hope i'm able to explain what i have in my mind)

hera
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hera » Saturday 3 November 2007, 16:25

Christian, if it makes you feel better I am at least 8h [good weather] away from the Alps :(. But that makes me more dedicated :twisted: .

Hera
F2 RS WC

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Monday 5 November 2007, 16:35

Hera,

at least you've got the Carpatian mountains. What I've got at home is only this short and narrow slope, and there aren't many good days each winter.

But it's better than nothing, even if it's crowded with skiers. :evil:

Christian
Attachments
Fahrenberg.jpg
Fahrenberg.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 10031 times

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Monday 5 November 2007, 17:48

I've take a look at your video too.

I've notice two things. You never do any rotation in your turns (but counter-rotation) and your corps position is to much bend in your backside.

Let's see it in images...

I will comment the images another time... I have to go !
Attachments
backside.jpg
Your body is to bend. You need to redress your body. If you look the inclination of your board, your shoulders must be on the same line with your hip (hanches).
backside.jpg (15.37 KiB) Viewed 9997 times
Front 2.jpg
Front 2.jpg (14.01 KiB) Viewed 9997 times
Back 2.jpg
Back 2.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 9997 times
Franck, Préverenges, Suisse

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Tuesday 6 November 2007, 11:20

So... I've got much more time today...

I will use the term "turning same side as a clock" or "opposite". Let's use A for turning in the same direction like a clock or B for opposite.

In the "back" and the "front" image-series, you can see that your shoulders are turning opposite to your board... In the "back" images, your board is turning B, but your shoulders makes an opposite turn. This is caled a counterrotation. Your doing exactly the same in your "front" : your board turns A while your shoulders turns B.

The principe of a rotation is to use the mouvement and energy of your shoulders to pull your board in the same direction. Like a dancer do for a twist (if you do it well, you can make 2-3...5 turn with the initial energy of your shoulders). If you try to make a counter-rotation (turn your shoulders A and shoot your foot opposite (B)), you will see that it's impossible to make any turn. You can try it at home without any board just to feel it and to understand the principe !

Remember that you cant make any good rotation if your body is not in the right position at the begining of the turn.

On the "backside" image, your shoulder must be mutch more allined whith your ankle and your hip.

Hope I was clear enougth and that all this will help you in your search of the holly grall : the ultimate extremecarving turn !

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Tuesday 6 November 2007, 13:01

Two articles to master and read through for a beginning I would really recommend to you seeing that you do all of the mistakes mentioned in them are:
http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/i ... lation.cfm
and (both articles are pretty much about the same mistakes)
http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/c ... steeps.cfm

You have loads of angulation but no inclination on Frontside. Get rid of that first!
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Tuesday 6 November 2007, 13:11

Franck Lehmans wrote:I've notice two things. You never do any rotation in your turns (but counter-rotation)

right
Franck Lehmans wrote:and your corps position is to much bend in your backside.
Why? I think, this is one of the best pictures. At least there is some angulation and some kind of "controlling the turn".

skywalker
free extreme carving

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Tuesday 6 November 2007, 18:36

skywalker wrote:
Franck Lehmans wrote:
Why? I think, this is one of the best pictures. At least there is some angulation and some kind of "controlling the turn".
skywalker
Absolutely my understanding too. As long as you body is "inside" nothing is wrong (that's the story about inclination/angulation), if it is Outside/or over as on the Frontside fotos everything is wrong, the board will not carve but slip away/drift.
For extremcarving off course we want the whole body above the board's line, for carving in general "inside" is allright, it's in fact the best tool to ride a short radius with not enough speed for full laying out, and its a very stable position too, that's why racers will allways stay "inside" of their board. You should allways master techniques and use them appropriately.
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Franck Lehmans » Tuesday 6 November 2007, 22:23

Felix wrote:Why? I think, this is one of the best pictures. At least there is some angulation and some kind of "controlling the turn".
skywalker wrote: Absolutely my understanding too. As long as you body is "inside" nothing is wrong (that's the story about inclination/angulation) (...).

I agree with you both :chinese: . But I continue to say that I find that his body is too much bent :snooty: . I've never said that it is a bad thing (or if I did, I've make a mistake). Angulation gives a more powerfull vertical pressure on the board. But their are other way to bring the power on a snowboard, for example by using the energy from a turn to another. If Christian want's one day to lay down his turns, he will need to find the snow not only whith his bottom, but also with his trunk (shoulders). But it is actualy not the first priority in his case.

Christian... if you want to learn more from extreme carving technique, wy dont you come to the ECS 08 ? :wink:

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by christian61 » Wednesday 7 November 2007, 19:32

Franck,

I'd love to come to Zinal, but that's more than 750 km away from where I live. :(

Christian