Board length for lightweight rider (and technique question)

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

voodoo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by voodoo » Thursday 8 November 2007, 19:36

this look great

help more than live movie
boards:Swoard 175 H, Sigi Grabner Speed GS 185
bindings: F2 Race titanium, INTEC TITANFLEX
Boots: Deeluxe Indy+BTS,

Felix
Rank 5
Rank 5
Location: Austria, but moedling near vienna, bloody 1 hour drive to semmering or rax

Post by Felix » Thursday 8 November 2007, 19:54

Nice animations Patrice, however what you depict as "not-rotation" style" would be described by my understanding as properly done counter-rotation for slalom turns. For me it looks like the upper body is allways facing downhill same direction, while riding short slalom like turns (so no complete turns at all, but allways staying on the fall line). The legs do all the work, while the upper body stays calm.

Non-rotation-style (or neutral position) would be allways facing the same direction as your toes without any work with your upper body for steering. The neutral position is easiest to be found for me riding duckstance on a Freeride/Freestyle board.
Swoard 3D - 168M
http://Openmtbmap.org - get the most popular maps for Mountainbiking in Europe...

christian61
Rank 5
Rank 5

Thanks to everybody!

Post by christian61 » Thursday 8 November 2007, 21:14

Hello everybody,

I'd like to thank you all very much for your tips and comments.
I've read the whole thread again and again, and I see that there is a lot to be improved in my technique. I'm afraid I won't be able to do everything at the same time (getting more on edge, pre-rotation, push-pull ...). But I'm looking forward to learning these skills step by step.

Patrice, in my opinion this little animated picture of yours gives an excellent example of the fluency of the push-pull technique. This will be my goal for the next few years.

Apart from the fascination of carving, what I love about snowboarding is that it never gets boring - there is always a new challenge! Though in my case, there are very few challenges behind me and a mountain of challenges still ahead. ;-)

One more thing: It's great how this forum unites people from across Europe. I really enjoy taking part in this!

:bravo:

Keep it up!
Christian
SWOARD EXTREMECARVER GEN4 168s + 161m, Deeluxe 225 + ACSS

voodoo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Thanks to everybody!

Post by voodoo » Thursday 8 November 2007, 21:23

lot brains know more 8)
boards:Swoard 175 H, Sigi Grabner Speed GS 185
bindings: F2 Race titanium, INTEC TITANFLEX
Boots: Deeluxe Indy+BTS,

Franck Lehmans
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Thanks to everybody!

Post by Franck Lehmans » Thursday 8 November 2007, 21:56

christian61 wrote:One more thing: It's great how this forum unites people from across Europe. I really enjoy taking part in this!
:bravo: :clap2: :clap3: :clap: :angel2: :pray2:

You're right !
Thank all the Extremecarving.com team !
It's great to meet everyone from Europe on this site... There are also people comming from other continents : Korea... Canada... Switzerland !!! :lol:
Internet and Extremecarving.com get people closer !
Franck, Préverenges, Suisse

xyxx
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by xyxx » Friday 9 November 2007, 0:49

Felix wrote:Non-rotation-style (or neutral position) would be allways facing the same direction as your toes without any work with your upper body for steering. The neutral position is easiest to be found for me riding duckstance on a Freeride/Freestyle board.
How do you face your toes in duckstance, Felix? ;-)

But a serious 5p would be that I found myself and many beginner carvers progressing much faster if they assist themselves primarily with the upper body. I mean, concentrating on rotation and active angulation in shoulders.
Racing technique (lower-body focused and allowing proper counterrotations) certainly allows one going much faster and on much more variable terrain, but it takes much more than 20 riding days per season to master it.

What is wrong in the "most proper" picture is that the turn has not been initiated. The board does not carve naturally but is rather being forced by the rider into a simulation of a carved turn. Front leg burn.... Blue slopes.. We've all been there ;-)
Rotation helps in initiating turns a lot. Especially when the skills are not yet there.

hera
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hera » Sunday 11 November 2007, 19:36

Christian you're right. This forum does unite carvers across Europe and more. But wouldn't be interesting to meet also on the slope :wink: ?
I suggest a topic where everyone could drop a line about his planing; short and long term. For example I'll be in Solden 22.12-05.01. :xmas: .

Cheers,
Hera
F2 RS WC