Do I need a new board?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

SHREDSURF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Do I need a new board?

Post by SHREDSURF » Sunday 9 March 2003, 19:10

I have been riding alpine for close to 12 years now.
I am 6'2" and weigh 224 lbs.
I am currently on a Burton M6. Which is 160mm and has a running length of 130mm.
Since gettting on this smaller board, I am having a terrible time really carving turns and I think it's the board that's holding me back.
Should I be on a bigger board? If so, what size would be recommended?

Any comments, suggestions or ideas would be grealy appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Hi scott

Post by nils » Sunday 9 March 2003, 22:42

Well i am not sure the size of the board is the problem... 160 is the size of SL boards and are usually it's true more demanding physically than longer ones, since their reactions are quicker, and the radius of the turns much smaller. I remember the M6 beeing a freecarve board also, so not that 'extreme' compare to the PJ which was still available until the factory primes came out...

So might be your settings, angles etc.. and yes, maybe a more modern board with longer edges might get you feel more confidence in your carves...
tell us more about how u ride !
Nils

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NateW » Monday 10 March 2003, 2:42

Define "terrible time really carving." What goes wrong?

Also, is there some reason you felt your question was so very special that it needed to be in bold print?

SHREDSURF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SHREDSURF » Monday 10 March 2003, 20:14

Hi Nils,

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

My concern for the size of the board was the Effective Edge (cm) size only being 130cm. The last time I rode a 133cm was the Oxygen SL, but I don't recall having near as much trouble carving. In fact, the SL carved up a storm comparatively speaking. Perhaps the M6 is too sloppy for "extremecarving"? My settings are 54/51 degrees.

I was on perfectly groomed snow all last week and continued to bury the nose of the M6 on both toeside & heelside turns. It was extremely frustrating & tiresome. I have always ridden hard, but at the end of the day with the M6, I was completely shot. Perhaps going from the PSIA (Professional Snowboard Instructors of America) way of teaching and riding to the "extremecarving" way of riding is causing all of my problems.

I am in the market for new EVERYTHING, board, boots & bindings, I think I am going to look into Donek. Your suggestion about a more modern board with longer edges is well taken, thanks.

Scott

SHREDSURF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SHREDSURF » Monday 10 March 2003, 20:19

NateW,

I attempted to define my, "terrible time carving" in my response to Nils, hope it makes sense.

There is no specific reason why I put my subject line in bold font, I was simply experimenting with the fonts.
I am terrible sorry if it upset you that I put my subject line in bold font, I will try to not let it happen again.

Thanks.

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Wild guess.

Post by NateW » Tuesday 11 March 2003, 0:20

It's hard to say, but I'm going to guess that the nose of the M6 is too soft. I hesitate to speculate further since I know nothing about the M6.

Since you're looking for new gear, have a look at Coiler boards too, http://www.coiler.com/ That's what I ride, and I'm planning to get another of their boards for next season. It's not real clear on their web site, but they will change the width, taper, and sidecut to suit your preferences for about US$50 extra. Coiler and Donek will both include personalized flex in the base price of the board, but with Donek, shape changes cost quite a bit more. Both are highly respected though, you can't really go wrong, especially if something in Donek's catalog matches your needs without customization. I've been eyeing a 186 FC myself. :)