Carving in Switzerland or Austria Help

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Shred Gruumer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Carving in Switzerland or Austria Help

Post by Shred Gruumer » Monday 24 February 2003, 20:07

I probably already asked all of you this, I did try on your ExtremeCarve forum a while ago but know one seems to reply so I will try you guys again.

I would like to Stay in Switzerland if I can, only because I have been there in summer many times and my relatives live there although raised in the USA I just feel a little more comfortable using the trains there. I May consider Austria as well.

I keep on pushing the Europe trip out because I cannot get an honest answer from online and on some web sights and most of them when I ask for groomed runs and carving they usually do not know the terrain and openness I am looking for (Wide long Groom)!

I got my friend to go but he has to take his wife! so there has to be some shopping and other things to do. I know this will be a tough request and maybe perhaps Im better staying in Canada and the States. So here goes!

1) Resort Not crowded, like the middle of Canada not crowded,
2) Probably late January, 1st of Feb time frame.
3) Nice intermediate Cruisers that are wide and groomed, lots of groom.
Not looking for steep stuff to kill myself on, its a vacation!
4) May spend 14 days so we could maybe take a bus to another resort?
5) Visibility, Sunny would be nice!
6) I Hate platter lifts and T-bar surface lifts!

Choices: Saas Fee, Zermat, Flims Laax, Arosa, Gstaad, :?
For Austria: The only one I found that they say is not crowded at all and is groomed everything, so they tell me? is Obergurgl/Hochgurgl then I could also take a bus to Soelden.

Your help would greatly be appreciated! All suggestions welcome. Or do you think the US and Canada have better groom? I don't know!

Help

Shred

joe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Carving in Switzerland or Austria Help

Post by joe » Tuesday 25 February 2003, 0:11

Shred Gruumer wrote:1) Resort Not crowded, like the middle of Canada not crowded,
I think it´s hard to find a place in the alps that is not too crowded AND perfect for carving.
But i would like to recommend you a place in northern Italy.
Check out www.kronplatz.org
It´s my favourite resort although i´m from southern germany and a lot of "big" resorts are next to mine.
2) Probably late January, 1st of Feb time frame.
The time of January 10 th to Feb 20 th should be OK for you.
The longest time you should have to wait is about 15 min, but only one time in the morning.
The best time is the weekend before X-mas. But only the weekend before. Avoid X-mas holidays!!!
3) Nice intermediate Cruisers that are wide and groomed, lots of groom.
Not looking for steep stuff to kill myself on, its a vacation!
You will find really every kind of slopes there. Very steep ones, medium and flat ones. All of them are wide and really perfect groomed.
I´ve been to many places in austria, but for sure you´ll not find better groomed slopes in austria. At the kronplatz they use more than 200 snow cannons, so snow is for sure.
4) May spend 14 days so we could maybe take a bus to another resort?
I´m not sure if there is a bus to Alta Badia.
Check out www.dolomitisuperski.com
It´s one of the biggest resorts in the alps but not so perfect for carving.
But if you want to relax and to enjoy a amazing panorama it´s perfect.
5) Visibility, Sunny would be nice!
The average of sunny days is about 23 days in January, much more than in austria.
Check out www.gipfelrestaurant.com
Have a look at the gallery there, where pictures of each day are stored.
6) I Hate platter lifts and T-bar surface lifts!
Most of the 30 lifts are younger than 6 years. You´ll find exactly two platter lifts for the beginners. The rest of them are armchaired lifts for 4 or 6 persons and cabin lifts for 6, 8, and 12 persons.
Choices: Saas Fee, Zermat, Flims Laax, Arosa, Gstaad,

Never been there up to now.
For Austria: The only one I found that they say is not crowded at all and is groomed everything, so they tell me? is Obergurgl/Hochgurgl then I could also take a bus to Soelden.

I´ve been to Obergurgl 2 or 3-times and to Soelden app. 10-times.
Obergurgl is not really a big resort and they need a lot of snow there for perfect slopes.(really big stones there).
Sölden is most of the time very crowded and the wide slopes are very flat and the steeper ones are a bit narrow for carving(when crowded, so most of the time, except of the early morning, when the party people are still in bed)
Or do you think the US and Canada have better groom? I don't know!

Sorry, but i don´t know resorts in the US or in Canada.

Joe

pete
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pete » Sunday 2 March 2003, 7:33

Or do you think the US and Canada have better groom? I don't know!
so far, of what i've seen... not that much, that's true :alpine meadows (CA), Crystal Mountain (WA), Stevens pass (WA) and mt Washington (BC, Canada); i'd say that grooming is better in europe in general.

However, when i see movies from pureboarding @ aspen, it also makes me dream....

this is only my personnal opinion!
Skwalzone.org: French/English Speaking Skwal Community.

Skwaleur, Stations proches Chambéry.

o.decraene
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by o.decraene » Monday 3 March 2003, 12:29

hi schredddd,

i think you have to visit Ischl in AUSTRIA, a top ressort for carving, (next to Galtur SILVERETTA NOT SO EXPENSIVE, busses to Ischl every 1/2 hour ) : :)

rather expensive but worth every penny...

the slopes are comparable with COURCHEVEL(France), i mean slope maintenance ....perfect corduroy .....and also a speed device where you canbe flashed at x km/hour....jipiiiiééé :wink:

bye

have good runs ...