Cant or no cant

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

saso
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cant or no cant

Post by saso » Tuesday 11 February 2003, 9:05

HI!

I have another stupid question.
What is cant good for? What exactly does it do to riding itself if you have it or don't have it?

thanks

saso

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Cant or no cant

Post by cmachine » Tuesday 11 February 2003, 13:10

Hi Saso
saso wrote: What is cant good for?
In my opinion for nothing. Read the tech. part of extremecarving.com to get more information. And there is also an other thread about canting/lift somwhere in this forum.

My exp.: First time, when I carved without canting it was a bit stange. But now I never would go back to cants and lifts.

regs
:) Olaf :)

NateW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NateW » Wednesday 12 February 2003, 6:16

As I see it, cant goes hand-in-hand with stance width. As your stance gets wider, you start needing to tilt the boots inward in order to keep from building pressure on the insides of your front and rear boot cuffs (and/or the back of your front calf and the front of your rear calf).

Jacques and Patrice run no cant, and if I understand correctly this is because when in the middle of a carve the board flexes to put the boots at the same sort of angle with would be in if the board were flat and canting was used. In short, they've optimized things around the shape the board is in during a carve.

I can appreciate that reasoning, but I spend a lot of time doing things other than carving, like moguls, where a wide stance is helpful, the board isn't greatly bent, and canting the bindings inward helps keep my legs centered in the boot cuffs.

The bottom line is, try a couple different setups and decide which you prefer.

carversau
Rank 2
Rank 2

It's up to you ....

Post by carversau » Wednesday 5 March 2003, 9:27

I think, its a question of confortabel or not ...
For myself, I like cant ... it makes, that my knees are more together, and specialy in heelside, I feel more confortabel ...

The Pureboarding-Riders have a style in Frontside, that they push the knees apart ... for that, probably the canting is not that confortable ...

You have to find the most comfortable settings just for you ...

Keep on carving

Chris