push-pull technique

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

rikytheripster
Rank 2
Rank 2

push-pull technique

Post by rikytheripster » Wednesday 8 January 2003, 19:37

To nils, rilliet or fivat
hi all. In a recent post fivat said ur push-pull tecnique could be used in many different situations. Do u think u could post a video of u using this technique when turning with less inclination?

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Wednesday 8 January 2003, 22:33

Hi rikytheripster

Isn't there a video in the technique section of this site?

https://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html

:) Olaf :)

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 17 February 2003, 13:49

Hi Jacques, hi Patrice, hi all

I know there have been many discussions about the push pull technique in this forum. But there is still one thing that’s not clear (at least not to me).

First the clear and easy-to-handle part:
1. Push the board away at the very beginning of the turn until the apex of the turn.
2. At the apex, start to pull continuously.
This procedure distributes the pressure more or less equally along the whole turn and does not increase the pressure to the end of the turn compared to crossover tech..

… and now the issue:
In the transition part, the riding edge has to be changed. While pulling continuously from the apex to the transition, there will always be some pressure on the edge. But to be able to change the edge from front to backside (or vice versa), it is necessary to remove the pressure for a moment. How is this done :?: Somehow I can deal with it:
- Just a moment before changing the edge, I pull a little harder to remove pressure from the edge. Then I can change the edge and push into the next turn. (This is something like crossUNDER in the transition part).
- I also tried to jump from one edge to the other. (This is something like crossOVER in the transition part).

Because I continuously want to improve my technique, I don’t want to do this somehow. I would like to understand and train the correct way.

From the extremedreamer, I also tried to figure out how J&P deal with this. Sometimes, Jacques jumps from one turn to the other (see 00:36 or 00:44). Patrice strikes out with a strong body rotation (01:07 or 01.23) and I think he also does a little crossunder for changing the edge. (please correct me if I’m wrong)

I’m very very very interested to hear your opinion/solution to this.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regs

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Monday 17 February 2003, 15:46

Hi Olaf,

At the end of the turn (when pulling the board) keep enough pressure under the board so that it will push the board directly to the other side.
If you keep a very low pressure (you pull a lot), you will have do the first solution you mention:
- Just a moment before changing the edge, I pull a little harder to remove pressure from the edge. Then I can change the edge and push into the next turn. (This is something like crossUNDER in the transition part).
If you keep a very high pressure under the board (you just pull a very little bit) you will have enough pressure to be pushed by the board, directly in the next turn. But to get this in EC turns, a perfect board-bindings-boots-settings-edge-etc... is required!
The day I did that in Extreme Dreamer, the snow quality was really excellent (but in opposite that you can believe, the snow during rest of the season was always icy!). The board too was excellent: it was the first one allowing this! It was impossible with our previous boards.

Of course, all this works with a SWOARD, and I don't know how it does with other boards.

Jacques

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 17 February 2003, 21:40

Hi Jacques

As I understand you right, both is possible:
A. pull a lot and crossUNDER
B. On perfect conditions: pull little and the board will come automatically to the other edge (?).

What do you prefer if snow conditions are not perfect?

I will try B and I hope it really will change the edge automatically :?

Regards

rilliet
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by rilliet » Tuesday 18 February 2003, 8:24

HI olaf,

The worst is the snow condition and the most you have to pull (A).

In example, on blue ice, I can't do anything else than A to do an EC turn.

Jacques