Is Extreme Carving for tall people?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

ThePeonsChamp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is Extreme Carving for tall people?

Post by ThePeonsChamp » Wednesday 7 March 2018, 0:37

Hello everyone, I am into my third year of alpine snowboarding and I absolutely love this sport and am very interested in getting into Extreme carving. I want to buy a board for next season but my question is how hard is it for taller people to extreme carve? Is it possible? Are there any special tips that might help for taller people that want to get into extreme carving?

I am 6'4" - 193 cm tall and have a 28.5 - 29.5 boot size. 210ish pounds - 95 kg.

So yeah if anyone has any tips for us taller gentlemen I am all ears. Thanks guys!

e_wi
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Is Extreme Carving for tall people?

Post by e_wi » Wednesday 7 March 2018, 8:45

Surely your gravity center is higher then a small person and you need to develop more muscles in balance with your body,
But the push pull technique is the same for everybody, some learn fast and others take more time
Cheers Eric
Swoard Pro2 175M, Redline bindings, UPZ RC10

manuchill
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by manuchill » Wednesday 7 March 2018, 9:34

I can assure you it's definitely possible for tall people to do extreme carving :D

I'm 2 meters tall and been doing this technique for quite some years now :wink:
It all comes down to properly master the rotation and push-pull as Eric has mentioned also.
Practice, practice and practice some more..... don't try at first to "fall" on the snow, choose a moderate steep slope and work on the rotation and the push-pull.

The thing I think for us taller persons which harder is compared to average sized extreme carvers: the gravity center, to do extreme carving at it's best, you need to remain in a low position when crossing from 1 side to the other side of the piste.
For me that took quite some time to master properly, but when you've found that spot the push-pull in the corner will get easier.

And: when you start with extreme carving, record it and drop it here in a topic... a lot of people here are very willing to look at it and give you help and pointers on getting used to the technique :clap: :clap:
SWOARD EC Pro 175H + F2 Race Titanium + Head Stratos Pro with ACSS attached personally by Arnaud ;)

ThePeonsChamp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ThePeonsChamp » Wednesday 7 March 2018, 20:21

Thank you guys I really appreciate the feedback and I will definitely post some videos for input thanks so much!

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

Post by nils » Thursday 8 March 2018, 10:59

My 2 cents...
Us tall people over 185cm don't have the problem the rest of the midgets have regarding dating girls 8) , BUT, we are more likely to have back problems.. Extremecarving puts quite a lot of pressure in the lower back, especially if you bend too much at the waist..
Since I got my discal hernia ( due to rowing training ) I feel the limitations I have now especially backside, because twists of the spine and bumps can be painful..

Nils