ECS 05 > THANK YOU to all participants!

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Udo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Hi Udo

Post by Udo » Friday 11 February 2005, 16:50

Hello Skiwalker!
I'm from Europe. I'd hang out on Bomberonline otherwise.
I have never seen any pictures or videos of anyone extremecarving but P&J. There're a couple of online short segments and sequences of people fully extending their bodies for a very brief moment. When I checked the galleries from this year's ECS, I expected to see someone who would resemble the P&J technique/style. Unfortunately, I failed to find any proof that extremecarving exists outside the two-guy domain. Maybe I don't see it? :( That's why I asked.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

ECers

Post by István » Friday 11 February 2005, 17:41

Udo,

Believe us or as Skywalker said come to Zinal next year. There were many good riders with fantastic techniqe.

Of course, do not expect thousand of people doing fully laid and linked turns everywhere. No, this is not the case. This is only possible in very good conditions and there are only a small percentage of the alpine riders being able to do this. Rare species, huh...

Not to mention that making such good videos and pics is even more difficult than EC itself, so there are not that many of these.... we rather ride than concentrating on taking pics / vids. E.g. Skywalker is a fantastic rider, I've seen him with my own eyes, but never seen him in long videos like J&P has. Does that mean he can't carve? No f...n' way :-)

Cheers,

István

Alex

ec style only for P&J!!

Post by Alex » Friday 11 February 2005, 17:58

Yes Udo, P&J are the best for ec .....photo don't say enought!!
i was there... to last ecs, and i've seen with my eyes that many people of this forum do ec...linking laid turn not in racing style but in better to see like ec...... skywalker is one of many that is able to do a good ec style........so, if you don't believe about... you will have to wait the video of this ecs or come with us the next session!!
bye bye

Udo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Udo » Friday 11 February 2005, 22:23

I wanted to come see the magic a few years ago, when P&J's PR representative made a big secret out of their regular hang-out resort on the old BoL. Now that the ECS is a regular non-secretive annual event, I'm more eager then ever to come out and play.

Skywalker is riding a Virus on several pictures in the galleries. Nice aggressive style, but it doesn't look like EC to me. The technique's description on the front page appears to be very explicit. Am I missing something?

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Missing something

Post by István » Saturday 12 February 2005, 1:08

Yes U R, the point itself.... :-) come join us next year and U'll see.

Cheers,

Istvan

Udo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Udo » Sunday 13 February 2005, 18:59

What is the point of ECS then?

There is a number of carving expression sessions all over the world. Brownian Motion in Bajkalsk, Siberia last week. SES at Aspen, Colorado this week. There's no lack of hardbooters' gatherings.

So, with this in mind, if one comes to Zinal, is it to ExtremeCarve, or just carve :?:

Up to this day I have never seen anyone ExtremeCarve except Patrice and Jacques. Not live. Not on video. Not even a photograph. If it takes "coming to Zinal" next year and "seeing for myself" (people mastering the EC technique), I'm so there :!:

I should have probably asked this question in a separate thread "Does EC exist outside the two-guy domain?", not here.

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Sunday 13 February 2005, 21:37

Sorry Udo, I'm not the one to post pictures of myself. There were so many other very good carvers, but not so many pics of thm yet unfortunately.

Sorry all the others, I don't want to feed the Troll :(

Udo, why did you not come, if you were so eager to see EC???
What do you call that? Race-Style??
http://koti.mbnet.fi/cmachine/mig/index ... 0_0045.JPG

Best regards

Tom

P.S.: Won't reply to any of your posts regarding this issue any more. There's no discussion about facts!
free extreme carving

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Sunday 13 February 2005, 22:23

Hi Udo

Here is one of many video of West Coast (USA) EC, EC is alive thank you very much!!
http://www.digitalrig.com/users/hiroshi ... 050114.avi
or you can search here also:
http://www.tahoecarvers.com/riders/foru ... 453&t=4453
Carve Diem

The Blitz
Rank 5
Rank 5

ECS II

Post by The Blitz » Sunday 13 February 2005, 22:36

My webgallery, click HERE. :mrgreen:
 - 168XH Pro - Custom Dual 168H - Swallow Undertakeur 185

-- Tignes 19 au 25 mars --

cmachine
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cmachine » Monday 14 February 2005, 8:49

Hi everybody

I really don’t want to offend people in this great community. But I agree with Udo.
skywalker wrote:Won't reply to any of your posts regarding this issue any more. There's no discussion about facts!
But please don’t close your eyes about facts then.

Fact is: There’ve been some years since this great site has started. And up to know, there exist almost no picture or video of proper EC-Style on the web.

I personally have seen just 2 video clips with proper EC-Style. One is from Peter Vu – he really did a well smooth EC-ride and not a nervous race-like-style. (Btw: Peter’s a member in this forum too). And there is an other video that I can’t remember the rider. But I think it was from the ECS04 in the States (Summit-expression?). This guy did a smooth EC style too – even if the turns where not always fully laid (guess because the slope is not steep enough).

But that’s it. I’ve not seen any more material (nor videos, nor pictures).

I’m sure there are some more riders and picture material around. But it must be very very few. If there is, please post it.
skywalker wrote:What do you call that? Race-Style??
Tom, you're right, there are some great pictures about frontside turns, but what’s about backside?
A laid frontside turn is just half the truth (or even less, because the fs is easier done than bs).

The level to beat is on the extremedreamer video sequence starting at 2min 38sec: Very smooth linked fs and backside(!) turns.

And again, I really don’t want to offend people in this great community, but please don’t close your eyes about the facts.

Best regards
Olaf

harald
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by harald » Monday 14 February 2005, 9:08

Just because there might be few videos, you cannot conclude that others than J&P cannot do EC. At the last Zinal session I saw a lot of good riders performing what I think is EC, frontside and heelside laid turns. Maybe not as fluent as J&P but anyhow EC. When that is said, the laid heelside is difficult. My objective is to be able to laid heelsides within this season and I will try to have a photographer to document it.
Wait for the videos from this winters Zinal session. Perhaps there will be some others than J&P in them.
harald

Jakob
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jakob » Monday 14 February 2005, 10:13

And also my 2 cents to add... :oops:

P&J are probably the best when it comes to EC. Is being the best the only way for people to approve that you are able to do something? I guess not. Perhaps not the best example, but nevertheless: Is achieving world record in 100 run or winning the olympic medal the only proof that you can run? It's exagerrated, I know, but it's similar. The point is, it doesn't mean you have to be the best to do EC. :roll:

This year in Zinal I've seen a lot of riders doing EC. As already said, not as fluent and not as fully laid as P&J, but they are the best. There are pictures, a lot of them, on the net this year, especially after ECS '05. Check Vahur's page, check last year's ECS video, Check (I think) Mcfussels video, I recorded the clip that was on Eurosport last year of the guy doing EC, it was in WATTS show. Indeed, the clip did not include linked turns, but I'm sure the guy can do it, there were front sides as well as back sides in the sequence. Not to mention many riders seen in Zinal and on local slopes that I've seen performing EC. 8O

In my opinion, the only way to say that apart from P&J no one can perform EC is to define EC as P&J ride it. To define, that armpit can only be no more than 2cm above ground and the face no more than 10 cm above ground in evry one of 10 successive turns? It is indeed very few if any except P&J that can do it, but I don't think EC is about that. :?

Of course, free your mind, I don't say I'm right and of course I let people have their own opinion on the subject, these are only my thoughts. :D

Bye,

Jakob
Element - water.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

EC Video

Post by István » Monday 14 February 2005, 10:45

Hi,

Just one addition to this topic: do not compare videos to reality (with all due respect to J&P).

It always looks much more flawless, easy and liquid on videos with music background. Relality is noisy, painful, faster, etc.

Cheers,

István

nils
Swoard founder
Swoard founder

EC

Post by nils » Monday 14 February 2005, 12:22

EC is extremecarving as a discipline... it means you will have a lot of different levels of people doing EC, and on the top of the level, J and P as where it can take you when you do flawless moves. Remember they train at it since the mid 90's with perfect movement on mind as ultimate target...

N.

drzone
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by drzone » Monday 14 February 2005, 15:27

Nils,
You're right about EC being a discipline, P&J are the Shaolin masters, the rest travel far and wide to become their students high in the Zinal temple, most of them don't get into movies and pictures, just get humiliated and bruised (body and egos).
But we all aspire to become one with the masters!! :D

PS: Someone mentionned Peter Vu, he would be David Carradine!!!! :P
Carve Diem