Test of goggles for EC

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Test of goggles for EC

Post by joemzl » Saturday 11 February 2017, 16:42

Are you happy with your goggle? No need to read further.

:wink: Seems, that you see some possibilities for improvement.
I hope, that I can help you. :chinese:
The whole test you can find in the German Forum here:
(for the school grades: 1 is the best and 6 the worst in Germany)
Too much work to translate it all, :alien: but you can translate some parts yourself
and for others please ask me directly if interested.

But I will give a summary here:
My aim was to find a goggle with a large field of view, horizontal and vertical.
Lenses that work in sunny and cloudy conditions, which leads automatically to the need of two lenses.
And a quick lens changing system. So 3 parameters.
Problem is, you can´t have it all. Depending of what you prefer, your third parameter won´t satisfy you. :vamp:
I have light sensitive eyes. So I definitely need two lenses.
You prefer a one for all lens? Maybe the fantastic Oakley Prizm Rose? Ok, but you will get problems
if looking directly into the sun and in real overcast conditions.
A photocromatic lens would help? Yes, but you won´t find a good one in an oversized frame (needed for the wide field of view).
That all leads automatically to the premium models of each brand that normally come with a second (free bonus) lens.
On bright days every lens with a vlt around 15% (less or more) will give you enough contrast and saves you from glare even on the glaciers. 8)
When the clouds come, you need a base tint with yellow or orange :!: Avoid any wisp of green :!:
Don´t focus on the outside lens. That´s only for fashion. Important is the inside lens.
Oakleys Prizms all have different colors. But the inner lens always has a red base.

Where to get the informations about the lenses? Rarely from the brands.
:idea: Add “tint guide” to the name of the brand and you get infos about the vlt.
Another possibility are the online offers of some dealers.

No need to explain why maximum horizontal view is needed for us. I like a good vertical view too.
But that collides with a good venting system of the goggle. Maybe I´m a bit too focused on the view.
So I didn´t take any goggle into the test with venting holes on the frontside, or that seem to have not the best possible vertical view.

Every actual premium goggle I tested, that comes with a second lens, has a quick and easy lens changing system.
Except the Smith I/OX. I don´t like it. But it seems to be the goggle with the least problems of fogging up.
So, if fogging is often a problem for you ….
:rules: If you clean the inside lens only one time intensive with you handkerchief, fogging up will always be at your side.
Never do it !!
Good videos of goggles and lens changing you find from Sport RX San Diego.

I now own Salomon X-Max. Von Zipper Haldor could be a good choice too.
I like the Flight Decks. But lens changing takes time and is not possible with cold fingers. Expensive choice anyway.
Airbrake XL would be a good possibility. But a good combination of glasses is expensive too.
Still need to test the Prizm Hi Pink and HI Yellow. Maybe I will end up with one of them.
Edit May 2017: No!
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M

slayer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Test goggles for EC

Post by slayer » Sunday 12 February 2017, 3:51

Hi joemzl,

yes I saw that post, and very interesting it was too. I just posted a one-liner there, as my German language skills are terrible! :-)

I bought the Oakley Flight Deck with initially the Black Iridium lens (because it looked cool!) but since switched the lens to the Rose, for low light use. I don't have the same light sensitivity issues you do, so nowadays I just leave the rose lens on full-time, and that works for me in bright sunlight too. It is excellent in low-light, by far the best I have ever used in about 20 years of snowboarding (although I haven't bought that many goggles).

Field of view horizontally is great, and vertically is ok. I have some problems as the bridge of my nose is quite wide, and it constricts that slightly, but I just position it a bit higher (I have always had problems with other goggles also in this area).

Not had any problems with fogging, except when stationary and looking down for a while (like when adjusting and screwing in my bindings). If you push them up on your forehead when it is snowing, snow can freeze on the outside, I guess due to their single layer construction. It's OK if you leave them on.

They do scratch quite easily though, but I have never had a pair of goggles that didn't! :-)

cheers,
Slayer.
Soft: Dual 175, Burton Driver-X, Flux CV
Hard: Gen4 175M, UPZ RC10, F2 Race Titanium

Wouter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Wouter » Tuesday 14 February 2017, 14:43

Hi. I tried the Oakley Prizm without a frame and a didn't want anything else.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Swoard 168M Pro2
Oxess 164 Titanium
Volkl 175 Skwal
F2 Respect

joemzl
Location: where Varus died in Germany // above you see, why I came to snowboarding: the Vitelli Turn

Post by joemzl » Tuesday 31 July 2018, 15:53

Took me two years for the whole test, but I feel it´s complete now.
All actual results are included.

And the winner is ........
For me Salomon XT One Photo
For Abrax the Out of Earth the One Fuocco
Schneehase took a cheap Oakley with HI Yellow as a second pair for the overcast.

So, no easy choice :silly: :tongue: :liar:
:hello: :hello: :hello:
Extreme Dreamer every night

Swoard Pro 175M +Race Ti Flex, Plasma CE185/17, Swoard Stoke 162M