An introduction to Northwave hardboots

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: An introduction to Northwave hardboots

Post by WinterGold » Sunday 15 May 2016, 10:35

I heard some good things about Full Tilt boots and I know that some Canadians were using these shells also for snowboarding (at WC level).
But the positions of the buckles and the ankle joints don´t look as "perfect" as the Northwave construction.

And nobody is using them in snowboarding anymore ...

Zemely
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Zemely » Sunday 15 May 2016, 11:46

WinterGold wrote:And nobody is using them in snowboarding anymore ...
I strongly against for the use of these boots, they really do work differently - than necessary. This video is from a certain timing has led both legs conduct demonstration inside boots on x-ray. Some of it has long been understood or felt, but it is useful to see.

For example, as the foot goes longitudinally and that this can hinder. Why walking heel and can rub the corn. How and in what language the site is adjacent to the shins, where joints and bones are found. This gives rise to a number of questions, or confirm the old speculation.

This is an illustration to my article about the hardboots. I am sorry, it is written only in Russian. But I think the meaning is clear.

Northwave Point 950 is the toughest part of the lower shell, I have ever seen. Shell did not bend, even in the heat - It does not change the shape and size. Therefore, many are looking for it is these hardboots. All in flex cuff, it is softer. Adjustable springs and language - it's wonderful when the shell as iron. If the shoe is anatomically well-walked - it will work properly. The correct shape and size. Instead of marketing. Shape of Northwave very complete and resembles a bath. Therefore, it comes large community of riders, if you put a quality liner. You can not say about many other manufactures - Burton, BLAX, HEAD, Raichle, UPS, Deeluxe, UPZ...
https://www.youtube.com/user/DonAntonioSPB
BRGDS, Anton

stelladj
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stelladj » Sunday 15 May 2016, 14:50

WinterGold wrote:All the pictures on page 7 are from my private collection. So I also own all the models. The flex is mainly controlled by the spring system. I don´t feel that there is a big difference in shell stiffness. I know a racer who used the .900 for qualifying and the .950 for the finals. He says that he doesn´t care. Alex Bergmann used the .900 on the World Cup level. But I don´t want to argue this point! Some riders feel a bigger difference. Others don´t. It seems to be very personal. And remember - even between one .950 and another .950 there are differences in plastic stiffness sometimes! Not to mention the extra stiff XX versions!
I got to try all three types of boots with the same initials!
(In plastic I saw that there is a difference in the acronym, the 350 has a 2 when in fact the 900 and the 950 have 1).
For me the .950 are far superior to others, such as directivity, directness, technique!
This of course is my opinion pesonale
Attachments
.350 zip.jpg
.350 zip.jpg (26.14 KiB) Viewed 18859 times
.900 zip.jpg
.900 zip.jpg (25.17 KiB) Viewed 18859 times
.950 zip.jpg
.950 zip.jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 18859 times
Swoard Pro 168M 00220 - f2 race titanium M - tutte le Pantofole Northwave.950 .900 .350, Nex. Xan.

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Thank You Alda

Post by rcrobar » Sunday 22 May 2016, 0:05

Hello

I'd like to tell a fun little Northwave boot story, it seems to fit in the spirit of this thread.

Before 2002 I really knew nothing about the legend of the NW boots, I had seen them in my snowboard buyers guide, but that was it. The EC site and videos was the first time I thought to myself that I should buy a pair of these boots, as we all know it is VERY hard to find them anywhere.

In early 2003 I decided to phone the Northwave factory in the USA, they explained that they had never had hardboots at the America factory and I should check in Europe. A quick google search and I found an e-mail and picture of the NW factory in Italy, I hadn't realized that this factory was HUGE ... like a GoodYear Tire Plant!

I sent a very short e-mail, in both English and Italian, that basically said I'd like to buy a pair of the legendary NW hardboots. I asked that who ever was reading and receiving my e-mail to forward it to ANYONE in the factory who might know if any boots were still in the factory. One phone call, one e-mail, that was it.

The next morning I had an e-mail from Alda Panciera who simply said ... yes I have the boots, how many pair would you like and in what size?!! I couldn't believe it, was this real or a scam? I had no idea. This was a time of no PayPal and Alda wanted an 'International Bank Transfer' ... no credit card or money order. Organizing the International money order was way more work then finding the NW boots!

I sent the money to Alda, not really knowing if this was real or a scam or if I would ever see a my money or a pair of boots ever. A few weeks later the boots arrived! I remember taking a picture of them and sending them to Patrice, Jacques and Nils and said something like ... 'Look what I found.':)) This was quickly followed by a few e-mails that said 'where did you find these boots?' This was followed by me recieving e-mails from guys from all over the world who were all looking for a pair of boots!

I e-mailed Alda and asked if it was OK for me to share his e-mail with some of my friends, which he agreed to; Alda was a VERY nice person! I guess this lead to a flood of e-mails to Alda and a lot of boots flying out of the factory. At one point he sent me an e-mail that said ... 'Rob, you have a LOT of friends!' I don't know this for sure, but I think this is how the last Northwave hardboots left the factory in Italy.

Any, just a fun story that makes me smile when I think about it.
Grazie Alda:)

Cheers
Rob

danger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by danger » Sunday 22 May 2016, 21:47

Oh wow!
Great Story!
Thank you for sharing!
So - you still ride your NW's?
Das Bessere ist des Guten Feind...

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

NW's

Post by rcrobar » Sunday 22 May 2016, 23:18

Hi Frank

Yes I do!

I love the boots, they are very durable and have stood up quite well over time.

I feel very lucky to have a pair of NW's and the good story that goes with them:)

Cheers
Rob

Johann Knieschluss
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Thank You Alda

Post by Johann Knieschluss » Monday 23 May 2016, 14:24

rcrobar wrote:I e-mailed Alda and asked if it was OK for me to share his e-mail with some of my friends, which he agreed to; Alda was a VERY nice person!
I think Alda is a girls name :wink:

ciao

rcrobar
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by rcrobar » Monday 23 May 2016, 16:10

Hi Johann

I did wonder about this, but never did confirm this via our e-mails. As you can imagine I know zero Italian, I also wondered how bad my English to Italian computer translation was; I bet it made Alda laugh! There are many English names that are unisex, my daughter has what was a traditionally male name but has become a common female name over time. Bottom line is I am thankful to Alda :pray2:

Cheers
Rob

Johann Knieschluss
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Johann Knieschluss » Monday 23 May 2016, 17:24

Alda is female and Aldo male. Very easy :) :hello:

WinterGold
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WinterGold » Tuesday 24 May 2016, 10:34

rcrobar, good story! I wish it was still that easy! Call the factory and that´s it! 8)

Now, who is going to produce them again? The Japanese? Or the Italian? Or the Swiss guy? Let´s get it on! :angel:

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Monday 29 August 2016, 23:56

I heard about three teams that are working on new versions of the Northwave.
Let's call them A, B, C and D
I have spoke with two of them, A and B.

The team A has 3D scanned the whole series, has between them one guy who has worked at the NW plant and collaborated with one of the guys who developed the shells.
They have a very good chemist that found a very similar type of plastic.

The B team are allready on the slopes.
They told me that they were "inspired" from the NW but they worked for a now days version with new plastics with the same caracteristics, there are some WC racers testing them.

The C is at a good point, I didn't spoke with them, but they are well supported also from their national federation.

The D team is from Italy and working on an hi-tech carbon kevlar shell, they tried with the windform but is too expensive.

Two of these four are boards manufacturer.

Please don't ask me for more information. :wink:
www.carvers.it

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Tuesday 30 August 2016, 0:03

Somewere I can't remember I have found this about NW plastics

Northwave uses for Point 950 boots: Nylon 12
Northwave uses for Point 900 boots: Nylon 6
Northwave uses for Point 350 boots: PU

Some one told me that the plastic were cutted in differen way before melting them and this makes the .950 so touhtg, at the NW worked for two years before getting the right one.

Some other told me that 350 and 900 has the same plastics, only different in cutting them before melting

Maybe just rumors
www.carvers.it

Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Silver » Saturday 3 September 2016, 19:24

Thank you Jax for this interesting info.

Do you have any idea if these hardboots will be available on the market (for any alpine rider, not only racers)?

Are they considering to make reasonable price hardboots to allow high sales' volumes ?

Thanks!

Silver 8)

jax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by jax » Saturday 3 September 2016, 20:52

They will be on the market soon, they are making heavy test to be 100% sure of the results.
The price will be "not less than a board".
Let's say more than 800€
www.carvers.it

fivat
Swoard & EC founder
Swoard & EC founder

Post by fivat » Monday 5 September 2016, 15:18

"Soon" for the market means not before winter 2017-2018. The tests phase is crucial.
Indeed there are 2-3 projects around, what shows there is solid interest in alpine snowboarding and passionate riders.
Some rumors are right, some are wrong. Some projects could be aborted because of costs or complexity. But for sure at least one project will be brought to reality. :D
The implied people (and this Forum) will publish more info during winter 2016-2017.
About price: small market --> small production --> high price. But in my opinion, the shoes are as important (or even more?) than the boards. So the price given by Jax should not be shocking.

Patrice Fivat