difference between carving board & racing board

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

difference between carving board & racing board

Post by willy07 » Thursday 12 December 2013, 20:14

hello everyone. as of this moment i am fully complete in all of my gear. i started off on a regular snowboard and now transitioning to carving. after years of searching for the various boards bindings and hard boots i now have everything except the experience and knowledge. searching and reading on the swoard site i am trying to find the differences in the carving boards vs the racing type boards. these are my current boards and gear i acquired to try this carving, a prior gs, f2 speedster, burton factory prime, airwalk force 57, deluxe lemans hard boots, burtons and finns bindings. after reading and looking at various pics i assume with a racing board it is difficult to do a full lay down turn without the boots touching while the slightly wider swoard boards have more clearence right?? my current degree settings are front foot 56 degrees and the back foot 50 degrees. i know all but one of my boards were owned by people who raced in like the Olympics and assorted competitions. i have seen my buddies carve with simular equipment and as far as i can tell they can do like a 3/4 of the laydown turns. if you were to adjust the degree of the boots and bindings more parallel to the board would that allow for a more complete laydown turn or would that decrease your ability to turn? right now if i am understanding this topic correctly you can still carve with a race board but there's a limit to what can be done right?

PS: i have never ridden a carving or racing board before so this would be my first time/season.

tali

Re: difference between carving board & racing board

Post by tali » Friday 13 December 2013, 16:48

Hi :)
You could find an answer to the "Extremecarving board vs. Racing board" question here, here and here.
For your angles, please have a look here
It would also be a good idea to find a friendly extremecarver from your area (is it BC?) and ask a lot of questions in person. 8) I would eagerly help you but I am in Ontario.
Have fun with your first season and be safe.

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by willy07 » Sunday 15 December 2013, 4:16

hey tali its wally, i recently received a few emails from you regarding questions i had, i am in Calgary. i recently found out about a Canadian version of the ECS that's being held at a local ski resort in jan and i am hoping to do that exact thing and ask lots of questions and such. right now i am hoping to get a few trips in before this Expression Session event in Jan, its for all carvers in the western Canada.i will try to be safe but am very known for doing stupid things. :)

willy07
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by willy07 » Sunday 15 December 2013, 19:53

thanks for the links tali, especially the second one that one definitely answered a lot of my questions.