Leash

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

Do you use a leash?

No, never
7%
Yes, always, it is useful
79%
Yes, but it is completely useless
14%

Total votes: 42

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by McFussel » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 10:21

@Max:

Well, that´s a good reason.....but: Why do you have this Problem? Usually I just stop for some drinking or eating (10 -20 min) - and I don´t let my Eyes from the board.....

Where do you get this security screws from - it´s good to use them for the binding...

Leash is useful - no doubt...its no big act to use it. FreeSking guys use them too. First thing I do is fixing the leash - then step into binding. If something goes wrong - your Board is fixed to you, I don´t think that you will loose your board while riding.....

That´s what I would say....
Don´t ride the chicken line!

http://www.carving-masters.de

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by István » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 10:22

2nd: great idea! (Although, I doubt that someone will start to unscrew at least 4 screws on a board that is seemingly locked to a holder in front of a bar with many people....)

István

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 10:33

These are simple and cheap ones and can be used with anykind locking cables :lol:

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

@Max

Post by skywalker » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 11:45

Both bindings... out of an Extasy? ;) ;) ;)

i've never seen in some years of snowboarding and hardly can imagine how this should be possible without serious user error...
free extreme carving

WokkingMax
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WokkingMax » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 12:11

it was no xtasy :twisted: but it was really a users fault, more likely a crash, but it could always happen. i couldnt trust my eyes too when i saw it. 8O well, ur right if u say that its more likely that ur board runs away while u try to step in, carrying, ... , but there is a little possibilty of crashing both bindings out of the board. fortunately that guy didnt get any injuries out of his crash.

max
Quote Fruno: "Weiss einer von euch, was das Wort "Hirnwixerei" bedeutet?"

Virus-CyborgTitanal181 "Blingbling"/Undertaker192 "Sissi"
Deeluxe-Suzuka Thermoflex
Sikaflexed Gloves

McFussel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by McFussel » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 12:31

But how would you calculate the possibility of that?? 1:250000????
Don´t ride the chicken line!

http://www.carving-masters.de

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skywalker » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 13:25

Well,

I would say, it already happened once, so there is no likelyhood left for the future ;))
free extreme carving

ablazespy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ablazespy » Wednesday 3 November 2004, 20:22

How many times you have seen, that both bindings break out of the board so that board turns into missile? I haven't seen it.
I have live tru 2 bindings poping out in the same second in a backsidecarve, I was luckely to have a leash that stopped the board running away into the crowd on the slope!

gr D

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Conclusion

Post by István » Thursday 4 November 2004, 9:32

So guys we are coming to a conclusion:

USE A LEASH BECAUSE IT MIGHT SAVE THE LIFE OF SOMEONE ON THE SLOPE. BOTH BINDINGS CAN BREAK/OPEN - SHIT HAPPENS....

Cheers,

István

ps.: I still believe that skiers represent a great danger when they sit on the lift, just hanging their legs and suddenly the binding releases, hence the ski falls.... I have also seen skis running downhill despite of the auto-break (black, icy slopes), or e.g. it happened a lot with my EC skier friends (riding on huge lifts) that I had to catch their skies.

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 5 November 2004, 18:41

I am another one of those unlucky few that experienced detachment of both bindings. One day in Hunter Mountain (NY USA) I hade a frontal crash with a dumb heavy skier... Thank God no permanent physical damage, but I destroyed my almost new Santa Cruz 156 slalom prototype...and if I didn't have the leash it probably could have gone downhill to injure somebody..

Plus remember that when you are on a lift the board is attached only to the front binding...and the board is high in the air.
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

raphael
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by raphael » Saturday 6 November 2004, 0:13

Well, when on a lift i always keep my both feet attached. The lift people always yell at me, but i feel it is safer for everybody. Just my opinion.

tigger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tigger » Saturday 6 November 2004, 10:55

:roll: ...my own userfault:
some years ago i sat in the chairlift, it was windy and there where deep cliffs under the lift, 50 meters before the exit i tried to kick the bar of the lift open :roll: but openend the buckle of the front binding 8O my board hang in the wind like a worm with an umbrella :wink: my leash was like an rolled old telephone ccable and stretched a meter. but i ve still got my board and love leashes :D
life is more than avoiding death

audacium
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by audacium » Sunday 7 November 2004, 19:19

I can just confirm that I always use a leash and I strongly recommend it to anyone. When attaching the board on a slope I just cannot guarantee that I will not lose it while fumbling with the binding.

It seems everyone is using a leash...this is good!
--
Swoard 175M 0048

eaglefly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by eaglefly » Monday 6 December 2004, 15:31

i always ride with a leash; always did actually, thought you had to... but anyway, some of you have already explained why you should have one and i agree 100% so stick to it!! chairlift, the slope and binding..mine broke last year at the top of a chairlift...can't imagine what would have happened during a ride..injury for myself and others probably; moreover i love it when i'm (always very) tired at the end the day and have to walk a bit on the snow...i don't have to hold my beloved board, i just use the leash like i do with my dog..
:roll: cheers!
* * * "Carve diem, that's it " * * *

Rietzschel
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rietzschel » Monday 6 December 2004, 17:43

With the danger of being overcooked 8) I want to add another angle:
Is personal damage covered by an(y) insurancecompany in this matter. So save yourselves a lot of problems, DO use one.

Greetz Guido