Stance - How to set your gear?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 2 November 2004, 10:29

Unfortunately i think that formaula does not work.
On first sheet, change only binding angels, (nothing else)
to 45/40 -> stance 32.8
change angles to 70/65 -> stance 67.8

Both are really unrealistic values for same person 8)

I thinh basic flaw with calculation idea is usage of "Basic stance", cause it will have huge impact to result and it is also very hard to measure proberly 8O

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Tuesday 2 November 2004, 12:01

The sheet is built on ergonomical basis... and as i stated in my previous post... i have to find a better way to measure the basic stance.

Side flex and canting is personal taste.

the difference between 45/40 and 70/65 is logical (i sound like dr spock...)
just think about it :)

Carve long and prosper....

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 2 November 2004, 12:23

What i wanted to point out was that results given out from sheet for angles 45/40 and 70/65 are unrealistic ie they are totally unsuitable for user. So perhaps approach chosen here is not right 8O
Specially cause those angles are used by one person in real life, so also calculation should give realistic "proposal" for stance too. :D

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Tuesday 2 November 2004, 17:54

You have to look at the other setting/variables as well... not only binding angle.

If you set you required binding angle you will get a stance... based on other setting as forwardlean, boot flex and canting.

If you set the bootflex zero and the canting as well you get a stance based on centered in boot ie no pressure points and furthermore and even more important, it is based that you hip/body is in a square angle to your front foot. This setting will be in a later revision variable.
The square angle (body/front foot) is not in line with EC requirements

I wrote this sheet months ago and i did put it in the freezer because i got what I needed.

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Long topics

Post by István » Tuesday 2 November 2004, 18:07

Guys, I'm getting more and more excitied.... this topic that I started now reached 4 pages length.

As far as I remember only the 'Negative Swoard review' topic was longer - 5 pages. So keep on commenting :-)

Nils, we should set up the Swoard Forum Records (longest, funniest, shortest, etc.) :-)

Cheers,

István

pokkis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by pokkis » Tuesday 2 November 2004, 18:40

Totally agree, perhaps we should reward creator of Forum Records in Zinal with Swoard t-shirt :lol: Nils, how does that sound :lol:
And this topic anyway makes much more sense than the other one 8)

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Tuesday 2 November 2004, 18:45

I will help :)

This issue will allways be a difficult one... to many variables and personal tastes... I tried... and i failed... but thats ok with me...

I know now what it takes to setup a "perfect" setting... which.... does not exist.

As i stated before... most of the time... trail and error is probably the easyest way to find your goal.... but not the shortest... I really hate resetting my binding every 2/3 runs... speciallly when its cold and windy

If there is anyone who wants to try and modify the sheet... be my guest... my assistance is a mail away...

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Stance - How to set your gear?

Post by roger » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 0:02

From my experience riding a wide board and setting the angles too large will lead to bad board behaviour due to the the moment acting on the board as a result of the moment arm between the edge and the force from the heel/toe on the boot. I suppose the moment arm should be as small as possible - thus the angles as small as possible.

I reached this conclusion as I tried to set up my swoard as a race board with ~60deg. angles and it was difficult to ride. After lowering the angles to ~55deg. and installing a 3 deg. cant plate on my back td2, the swoard behaved super.

Anything talking against this theory? :?:
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

Quiver: -04 F2 Eliminator Ltd 167 (TD2's) and a -05 F2 Speedster 183 (TD2's)

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 0:13

nope... nothing against that

Slalom boarder also preffer their toes and heels "on" the edge to gain maximum edge pressure.

I preffer 1 cm edge clearance for toe and heel to prevent toe and heel drag.

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Anyting against is ;)

Post by skywalker » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 13:58

That's nice, so I can be part of this thread,too.

Sorry guys, but the momentum and it's arm remain the same undependently from the binding angles. As the forces on the edge depend on the riders weight and the Acceleration, and as the contact surface remains the same (more exactly the intersection point with the applied force from the rider's body), there are always the same momenta and forces.

What changes is only the subjective perception of the rider. The forces are applied rather over the shins and calfs, as the help of the feet disapears with steeper angles.

So: The effect is described correctly, evryone can feel, that it is easier to ride with your toesand heels over the edge. But there are no momenta changed, sorry ;)
free extreme carving

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 15:03

I think this is what Roger means:

source: www.speedcarving.com

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Exactly

Post by skywalker » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 17:14

Hi,

nice pic. Yes, I think this is, what he means. And it is exactly what I wrot: Same momenta, same forces ;) ;) You even were right with identical arrow lengths. It only looks a little bit more beautyful on the left.

Maybe it would help to show also the arrows for the forces of toes and heels, from that you might conclude to a momentum around the length axis... maybe... or a smaller distance from the point, the effecting force meets the board... I'll think about that
free extreme carving

roger
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by roger » Tuesday 23 November 2004, 23:14

Lee and Skywalker,
Lee wrote:I think this is what Roger means:
Yes, along those lines. I attached a pic to better illustrate what I mean.
Attachments
forces.jpg
forces.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 12840 times
That in the soul which is called the mind is, before it thinks, not actually any real thing.

Quiver: -04 F2 Eliminator Ltd 167 (TD2's) and a -05 F2 Speedster 183 (TD2's)

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Yesss

Post by skywalker » Wednesday 24 November 2004, 10:16

Hi Roger,

this might be the way, it can be shown in a graphic. with low binding angles and some forward lean of your boots/some force applied by your toes the effecting force will be moved toward the edge. This might be some objective explanation for what you (without a doubt) feel, when you play around with binding angulation. Thanks for the nice pic ;)
free extreme carving

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Wednesday 24 November 2004, 16:29