Stance - How to set your gear?

Various topics, technical questions, announcements, events, resorts, ...

Moderators: fivat, rilliet, Arnaud, nils

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Forward Lean

Post by István » Friday 26 November 2004, 14:37

There is one point we have not touched here, although there are many discussions around this topic: FORWARD LEAN

What is the optimum forward lean to set (if it is possible on the boot) (eave alone springs for a second).

I myself prefer to set some forward lean, otherwise I'm too lazy to bend my knees which is a problem when it comes to absorb unevenesses.

Cheers,

István

skywalker
Rank 5
Rank 5

edge pressure

Post by skywalker » Friday 26 November 2004, 18:30

Hi Istvan,

when riding with moderate binding angles, main issue with forward lean is IMHO contribution of pressure between front- and backside. Too much forward lean: backside is easy, maybe too easy to get really deep, but frontside turn release is harder. Other way: without enough forward lean the backside edge will grip too late, so it's hard to do proper bs-turns. With stiff boots and very few forward lean the fs-turn is initiated even too easy, so it's hard to bend your legs to ride smoothly.

Thus softer boots might help to get your weight over the loaded edge. Of course forward lean helps you to ride with flexible legs. This is, what I like most, so maybe somebody might be surprised by the amount of my forward lean. But fwl is, what I have to set on the slope, as ist affects the symmetry of my riding.
free extreme carving

Silber

Post by Silber » Friday 26 November 2004, 18:44

If u really want to talk about this I have to mention that I change the fwd lean settings depending on the ride; my burtons have 3 settings 0/1/2 (2 beeing the greatest fwd lean).
Racing:2f 2r
Carving 1f 2r
Relaxed Carving 1f 1r
Powder open locks on both

Thus I change the setting during the day as my legs get stiffer...

(sometimes I directly change board and put on my soft boots.. 8) )
Francesco Swoard (1G175M 3G175M020 e 168H054),Wingergun205,Shaman193,TTubeS1/174GS,F2 (RS183'08 e'06/Lancelot/Slbpfl),Virus (Hurric./Dragon),Pogo (Hardc./Imp.),Burton (FP/Speed/PJ/CustomX),WildDuckFantasy, Duret168, OxygenProton168GS

István
Rank 5
Rank 5

Changing forward lean during riding

Post by István » Friday 26 November 2004, 19:04

Hehe - try to do it with my Indy :-)

Cheers,

Istvan

Ps.: Skywalker, agree with you in the above

guitart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Errors in Lee's Formula

Post by guitart » Thursday 3 March 2005, 23:51

Hello Lee,

I was so excited in your works, since I am also trying to find a formla for it.

However, in your Exell file, you assumed that the centre of hip joint locates in the middle of the two bindings. Also, you used the front leg only to calculate the stance, and multiplied it by 2. I can't find where Forward lean angle of rear boot (B15) is used.

But, I don't agree on the assumption.
The hip joint might locate in it occasionally. In that case, the upper body should be perpendicular to the board. But, in general, upper body bends forward a little bit to balance. This means that the hip joint stays a bit backward than you expected.

In my opinion, the hip joint never locates in the middle of the two bindings. The reason is that the distance between rear heel and hip joint is longer than that of front leg, since the the angle of forward lean of rear boot and the angle of rear knee are greater than those of front leg. So, the hip joint should be located closer to the rear boot.

Therefore, in order calculate the correct position of the hip joint as well as the stands, I assert that the knee angle and the effect of both legs should be also taken into account.

Let me know your opinion.
Sans passion, il n'y a pas d'art.

Freesurf Highlander II 160, 172, Voelkl RT SL 158, Oxygen Proton GS 178
Raichle AF700, SB323
Proflex Intec Titanium, DeeLuxe X-Bone Carbon Intec, F2 Intec Titanium

Lee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lee » Friday 4 March 2005, 8:48

The snowboard position is never the same... i needed a starting point to refere to in the calculations. The starting point was basic stance on a flat surface (not inclined). While snowboarding you move to the front and to the rear and ofcourse there is lateral movement.

I used this position so there is, in all directions, about the same amount of clearance to move.

To make the calculation correct i should use the COG (Centre Of Gravity) of the body... but some drink to much beer and other go to often to the gym.

I do not have the sheet here with me at the moment (i am at the office right now) maybe we could join our efforts and dicuss about what a good approach could/would be.

guitart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Excellent Job you did

Post by guitart » Friday 4 March 2005, 11:24

Hi Lee,

I agree that your work is a starting point and gave us a really good motivation.

You did an excellent job!
Sans passion, il n'y a pas d'art.

Freesurf Highlander II 160, 172, Voelkl RT SL 158, Oxygen Proton GS 178
Raichle AF700, SB323
Proflex Intec Titanium, DeeLuxe X-Bone Carbon Intec, F2 Intec Titanium